GitHub is seeking engineers to join its infrastructure team. As a valued member of our close-knit team, you will bring your passion for building fault-tolerant, performant, and reliable systems & software to help us scale the world's largest platform for developers.
The team is fully remote and our day-to-day working environment is based on trust, relies on respect, and encourages asynchronous communication. Through your strong written communication and software skills, you will develop meaningful working relationships with coworkers from around the globe. As an engineer at GitHub you'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
- Design, build, and operate systems to deploy, maintain, and scale GitHub’s global infrastructure in an automated fashion
- Improve and influence key processes, procedures, and documentation across the company.
- Actively participate in project planning as well as design, code, and post-incident reviews.
- Cultivate open source projects developed by GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Experience focussing on reliability, performance, and scalability when working with large, complex distributed systems.
- Strong familiarity operating and troubleshooting Unix/Linux systems in a production environment.
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages such as C, Ruby, Golang, or Python.
- Demonstrable experience with one or more orchestration or configuration management tools like Terraform, Ansible, or Puppet.
- Familiarity with SRE concepts like SLOs, incident response, monitoring and alerting, eliminating toil, and post-incident reviews.
- Comfortable working within unfamiliar architectures to debug service impacting issues.
- Great communication and problem-solving skills, coupled with a willingness to collaborate and work with empathy.
The responsibilities and qualifications listed are guidelines, and we welcome you to apply even if your skills do not match all of the skills outlined above. More than anything, we’re looking for engineers with passion, empathy and a willingness to learn who can help bring diverse perspectives to our team.
Ability to meet GitHub, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft, GitHub’s parent company, Cloud Screen upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.