GitHub is seeking a Product Counsel to join its growing Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs (CELA) team and provide frontline end-to-end support to our Engineering, Product and Design (EPD) teams. This role will, among other things, support GitHub’s core offerings to enhance the developer experience, helping them connect with one another and contribute meaningfully to projects on GitHub.com.
GitHub is the world’s largest platform for software developers and software development: Over 65 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across more than 200 million repositories, and trust GitHub to securely host their code, their personal information, and software collaboration. We make it easier for developers to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies to advance human progress.
GitHub also continues to grow its product innovation, user base, and global presence. With software development becoming a vital function at every organization on the planet, commercial and public sector customers are also increasingly turning to GitHub to participate in developer innovation on the platform and digitally transform their own internal software development.
GitHub CELA is an innovative team of professionals, located across the U.S. and around the world, who collaborate closely together and with the business. The CELA team operates on the cutting edge of legal practice, developer policy, and social impact. Like the rest of the software world, we use GitHub itself to work more collaboratively, transparently, and efficiently. We believe strongly in working from first principles, practicing kindness and helping make each other and the team better, and being careful stewards of the unique GitHub culture we are developing together. We value diversity of thought and experience, excellence and rigor in our work, growth mindset and continuous improvement, cultivating a deep understanding of our products and services, intellectual curiosity, a passion for technology, and innovation in our practice. We require strong bias for driving results, and a commitment to prioritizing developer and customer trust in our platform.
- Serve as primary legal advisor to various EPD teams, supporting them on new products, services, and programs, from inception to launch
- Provide legal advice across a range of subjects, including in-bound and outbound licensing, intellectual property rights, and privacy and data security
- Collaborate with CELA, other GitHub teams, and, where appropriate, Microsoft stakeholders on all of the above, and lead consensus building and drive coordination with them
- J.D. or equivalent and a license to practice law in the United States
- 5+ years of relevant legal experience
- Experience with product counseling related to intellectual property law, Internet law, and privacy and data security
- Experience taking on projects involving different subject matters
- Demonstrated success in issue spotting, problem solving, and the ability to be agile through change
- Demonstrated commitment to provide high quality client service and a strong desire to build trusted advisor relationships with key clients and executives
- High standards of integrity, a commitment to personal excellence, strong judgment, and intellectual curiosity that takes your understanding, work product and client relationships to the next level
- A joy and passion for legal drafting that is clear, concise, and human readable, including an ability to simply describe complex legal and technical scenarios
- A proven track record of success on cross-team collaborations and an ability to influence without authority
- A desire and ability to perform as part of a diverse and inclusive team, and to foster a spirit of diversity, inclusion, and belonging across CELA
- Energized by a dynamic, fast-paced, and remote-first workplace
- Tailored cover letter and résumé
- Law firm experience + in-house experience
- Knowledge of open source software and law
- Familiarity with using GitHub.com and its collaboration features
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.