GitHub helps companies and organizations succeed by allowing them to build better software through powerful, flexible CI/CD and automation, directly in the developer workflow.
GitHub’s Field Services organization includes an Operations and Reliability team made up of systems and software engineering professionals, working to support, automate and improve the infrastructure. The operations and reliability team are responsible for:
Deployment and the day-to-day monitoring, administration and operations necessary to run GitHub in a cloud environment at scale.
Growing our culture of inclusion, collaboration and togetherness.
We are a remote team and work with teammates across the world and in many different time zones. Mental health first is one of our team mantras. In a Covid world we want to build as healthy and sustainable a team as we can through empathy, flexible schedules and empowerment. Within those confines we are passionate about making a team that is scalable through shared knowledge and well defined best practices.
Infrastructure as code, managed cloud services, configurations and distributed security is where most of our time will be spent. Experience operating managed public services and knowing how to think about monitoring, automation, day-to-day administration and incident management will be key.
This role at GitHub is an opportunity to blend your system design, empathy, and software engineering skills on an ever-changing set of novel reliability and operations challenges. Join us on this journey and have a meaningful impact on how the world builds software.
Your job will be to lead these Operations and Reliability Engineers and own the success of the operations of these products. We expect you to have experience running Enterprise applications and leading teams of operational experts, with GitHub or SAAS knowledge a strong plus. The right candidate will thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication with this globally distributed team. We expect you to have excellent written communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe. In this role also you will lead, provide guidance, support and advice to your team.
The Job - what you’ll be doing
- Guide and facilitate setting the direction for the team by understanding how customer and product needs map to team and group priorities.
- Contribute to and create alignment across the team and with other teams in the Customer Success, Product, and Engineering organizations.
- Develop and improve on processes to manage the team’s progress and ensure that it is resourced correctly.
- Provide executive level communication and reporting on the product state and outcomes.
- Ensure that individuals learn, grow, and advance in their respective careers.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging.
- Drive organization wide best practices for monitoring, alerting and incident management.
- 4 or more years experience managing engineering, SRE, or Operations teams
- Experience with at least one cloud platform, such as Azure
- Experience operating Enterprise applications (including high availability requirements) and incident response at scale
- Passionate about fostering operations and engineering practices that scale and encourage reproducibility and success.
- Strong ability to communicate with senior management and distill complexity into easy to understand concepts that demonstrate impact.
- Enthusiasm for providing feedback, teaching others, and learning new techniques.
- Experience with monitoring, alerting and operations
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with Azure (AAD, Network Security, Virtual Networks, Load Balancing)
- Experience managing GitHub solutions, including GitHub Enterprise Server
- Experience operating software in a SAAS environment
- Experience as incident commander
- Experience managing distributed remote teams
It’s not expected that you have expertise in all these areas - we’re looking for someone who is particularly strong in a few areas and has some interest and capabilities in others. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences!
Ability to meet GitHub, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft, GitHub’s parent company, Cloud Screen upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.