GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We are looking for a senior manager with previous hands-on engineering experience to lead a group of engineers on the Special Projects team.
On this team, we work on a wide variety of customer-facing projects with a high degree of autonomy and at a high tempo. In the past several months, we’ve worked on projects to remove customer friction points across GitHub.com, to improve the experience of Enterprise customers by partnering with teams across GitHub, and on various special projects to highlight the power of open source around the work, like the Mars 2020 Helicopter Mission badge in partnership with NASA.
The Special Projects team is distributed across the US, Canada and Europe, and we are looking for an engineering manager who thrives in a culture of asynchronous communication, and who ideally has experience managing remote teams. In this role, every initiative we take has direct customer impact, so you will be collaborating closely with product managers, designers, and other stakeholders across the company. You will help grow the team through hiring key people, building a diverse and inclusive team and fostering a high-performance culture. We care deeply about an environment where team members are enabled to do their best work and continuously learn and grow.
- Set your team up for success, motivate them, and generate positive energy to enable them to do their best work
- Meet with team members 1-on-1 on regular basis and provide regular feedback and direction, and ensure that they are learning, growing and advancing their careers
- Source, hire and build a diverse, high performance engineering team that ships frequently
- Cultivate an environment across the organization where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Deliver success and make things happen: lead successful projects with clear customer-facing impact, ensuring high quality and timely delivery of features, and looking to exceed expectations when opportunities arise
- Provide technical leadership and ensure the team builds software that is architecturally consistent, of high quality, and that follows operational best practices
- Drive clarity with the team, fostering clear communication, understanding, and process improvements
- Work with product, design and partner teams across the organization to prioritize work and enable successful delivery
- 6+ years of experience designing, developing, and shipping high-quality software at scale
- 2+ years of engineering people management experience, preferably distributed
- Track record of working in complex and high impact services at scale and/or distributed systems
- Experience with hiring and building a diverse, high performance team
- Attention to detail, planning, and organization
A few things that will help you stand out:
- You have experience communicating with high-level stakeholders and driving cross-team initiatives in quick iterations
- You are truly customer obsessed
- You lead by example and are passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- You value building a diverse team with a healthy team culture
- You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications above. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences and what makes you a great Engineering Manager in the Special Projects team.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.