GitHub is seeking a research/software engineer with programming languages and/or software engineering expertise to join the Copilot team as part of GitHub Next. GitHub Next aims to be a meeting place within GitHub for experimentation with new ideas, and for setting the agenda for GitHub’s product several years in advance. Next has a small number of permanent research staff, and this position is part of the core Next team.
This engineer will collaborate with OpenAI and Microsoft Research to collect and process large-scale data sets to improve the OpenAI Codex model that powers Copilot. The ideal candidate will have experience with mining software repositories, large-scale program analysis, and/or creating benchmark sets for machine learning for code tasks.
- Collaborate with OpenAI to improve the quality of the Codex code synthesis model.
- Undertake short- and medium-term research projects in the area of code synthesis, and ship improvements to the production model.
- Participate in all activities of GitHub Next: organizing webinar series, evaluating project proposals, and disseminating research results.
- Ability to do innovative research on one of the following topics: mining software repositories, program analysis (static or dynamic), program synthesis, machine learning for code.
- 3+ years experience building developer tools in production
- Inclination to prototype quickly and make fast decisions on experiment failure.
- A creative mindset and good practical skills are more important than formal experience.
- PhD in computer science or related field, or other evidence of the ability to do independent research.
- Experience analyzing and/or mining large software repositories.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas clearly, both in spoken and written form, for expert as well as novice audiences.
- Interest in modern AI technologies and program synthesis in particular.
Ability to meet GitHub, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft, GitHub’s parent company, Cloud Screen upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.