GitHub helps companies, organizations, and groups of individuals succeed by allowing them to build better software, together.
The Engineering organization is looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join the Data Science group and closely partner with our Product organization on building data products and tools to support our broader company strategy and individual product area needs.
You will be able to leverage GitHub’s large, complex data sets to build models and processes that solve difficult, non-routine problems both for our users, and within GitHub.
This is an individual contributor position with significant growth potential.
- Collaborate effectively with Product, Engineering, and other members of the Data team on building reusable, scalable, and maintainable technical solutions that can be deployed to production
- Identify, design and execute on opportunities for machine learning products to have a high impact on the product and business strategy of the organization
- Increase automation, evaluation and stability of the operational footprint for existing machine learning models in production
- 5+ years prior relevant experience
- Strong experience building scalable machine learning models in Python (or equivalent)
- Experience in using SQL to query and manipulate large data sets for analysis
- Experience being an effective contributor in cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: Recommendation Systems, Classifiers, Natural Language Processing models
- Experience deploying and maintaining machine learning models in a cloud environment (Azure, AWS, or GCP)
- Demonstrated understanding of modern data pipelines and ETL tools, and ability to advise on the impact of different implementations on the data products
Ability to meet GitHub, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft, GitHub’s parent company, Cloud Screen upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.