GitHub is seeking a senior, experienced Individual Contributor GRC (Governance, Risk and Compliance) Audit and Compliance analyst to help develop and maintain audit and compliance aspects of GitHub’s Enterprise service offerings. GitHub is committed to doing right by our customers and developing a highly effective control environment with right-sized compliance solutions are integral to this commitment.
- Are you a fearless, autonomous - yet social! - go-getter, prone to fits of root cause analysis, followed on by enthusiastic information sharing?
- Do you like to test theories, and exult, rather than deflate, when the results return gaps or deficiencies because it means you have an opportunity to make something better?
- Do you like puzzles, mazes and intractable problems because they challenge you to push to the end and emerge triumphant, solution in hand?
- Are you passionate about tackling all the things that come your way, big or small, so long as they are the right means to an end, free of the shackles of popularity contests?
- Do you agree there is no ‘I’ in ‘Team’ and that the organic power of mutually respectful discourse and collaboration is what makes the world go round?
- And last, but most certainly not least, have you already answered the question "Why are we here?" with the GRC Truth, "Because Customers."
If so, you might be the person we are looking for!
As part of the team reporting into the GRC Director of Audit and Compliance, you will work closely with multiple groups including infrastructure, operations, legal, finance, HR, sales, and software engineering to develop sound process and implement necessary controls to meet customer needs, satisfy external audit and regulatory requirements, and address internal business objectives.
This is an excellent opportunity for a strong Individual Contributor to have a hand in elevating compliance and security as a business and sales enabler, and to integrate a deep understanding of product and business into the compliance space. This is a team effort, so bringing your team members, leadership and customers along for the ride is integral to your success. Central to the team's culture is that of inclusion, transparency and teamwork - we lift each other up to be successful!
A large focus of this position will be to:
- Engage in detailed research and analysis of technical and process-centric audit requirements in support of new initiatives, continuous improvement and remediation efforts.
- Plan and perform audit readiness testing procedures against GitHub’s Enterprise products(s) and technology.
- Contribute to on-going efforts to standardize and improve audit readiness testing techniques and program-level process/documentation.
- Provide feedback to business stakeholders on regulatory/industry better practices with regard to establishment and operation of internal controls.
- Assist in development and tracking of audit readiness and remediation project plans; assist in tracking successful completion of work, ensuring alignment with product roadmap.
- Contribute to the development of customer facing materials covering topics related to security, compliance and audit to help customers manage their own audit efforts involving GitHub products more effectively.
- Above all, you'll be getting your hands deep into the work and identifying new ways to solve problems and provide services inside our company.
Our ideal candidate takes an extremely pragmatic approach to Audit Readiness and Risk Management, functions as part of a growing team, and is able to balance the needs of a very dynamic engineering culture with that of protecting the company and customer data.
This job is U.S. based and open nationwide, however, semi-frequent travel (<10%) to our San Francisco, CA headquarters, Portland, WA, or Seattle, WA, will be necessary for a remote worker. (NOTE: Due to current COVID-19 restrictions on travel, non-essential travel for GitHub employees has been suspended indefinitely.)
- Demonstrated success working in multiple compliance/audit frameworks, supporting these types of assurance: SOC 1/SOC 2 (SSAE18), FedRAMP (NIST 800-53), ISO 27001.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a strong business to technology "Human API", helping to bridge the business view and requirements to technologists building solutions.
- 5+ years experience performing compliance and audit testing with demonstrated ability to execute activities all along the audit life cycle (e.g. planning, audit execution, reporting and wrap up, remediation). Demonstrated ability using project plans to track and negotiate commitments, with experience escalating blocking issues constructively.
- Experience working in a customer facing capacity in a SaaS/PaaS/IaaS business model.
- Ability to understand and work effectively against metrics/KPIs which assess program performance.
- Ability to partner with and effectively communicate to security, engineering and devops staff.
- Adept at project management and analysis work, including facilitation, interpretation, note-taking and documentation.
- Experience working on a remote team in an asynchronous workflow.
- Exposure to software version control systems/Git and GitHub.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Loves the opportunity to Fix It, Build It, Understand It.
- Confidence in their ability to learn new things - has the ability to state: "I don't know, but I will find out and circle back!”
- Very high comfort level working under ambiguous situations, with natural drive to bring clarity.
- Compulsive about getting it down on "paper".
- Creative mindset; a willingness to try a new approach, and challenge assumptions.
- Highly team oriented personality.
- An open, learning mindset.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.