GitHub is seeking a highly experienced and detailed-oriented individual contributor with a technical background to help maintain and expand GitHub’s Third-party Risk Management function. GitHub is committed to doing right by our customers and developing a highly effective environment where Third-party risk is managed in a meaningful and sensible way that aligns with our business.
- Are you a fearless, autonomous yet social go-getter, prone to fits of root cause analysis, followed on by enthusiastic information sharing?
- Do you like to test theories, and exult, rather than deflate, when the results return gaps or deficiencies because it means you have an opportunity to make something better?
- Do you want to see The Big Picture, and find ways to collect and organize data to tell the story? Maybe have a strong forest-from-trees project management perspective?
- Do you agree that the organic power of mutually respectful discourse and collaboration is what makes the world go round?
- And last, but most certainly not least, have you already answered the question "Why are we here?" with the GRC Truth, "Because Customers”?
If so, you might be the person we are looking for!
As part of the GRC team reporting to the Technical Risk Director, you will work closely with multiple groups including software engineering, infrastructure, product, IT, security operations, application security, legal, privacy, finance, HR, sales, and audit to develop and execute sound Third-party risk management processes and technical controls to meet customer needs, satisfy external audit requirements, and address internal business objectives.
As a senior individual contributor, you will be directly involved in day to day review work while also acting as a thought leader for the Third-party risk program. While this position does not manage resources, it is responsible for knowledge sharing activities and helping bring new team members up to speed on Third-party risk workflows and practices.
This is an excellent opportunity for a strong Individual Contributor to have a hand in elevating Third-party risk management and security as a business and sales enabler, and to integrate a deep understanding of product and business into the technical risk space. This is a team effort, so bringing your team members, leadership, and customers along for the ride is integral to your success. Central to the team's culture is that of inclusion, transparency, and teamwork - we lift each other up to be successful!
A large focus of this position will be:
- Day to day execution of vendor security reviews including launching and review of vendor assessment questionnaires as well as technical implementation reviews in alignment with GitHub’s Vendor Security Standards to support business stakeholders and technical SMEs.
- Execution and management of the Third-party Risk Assessment lifecycle for GitHub vendors, including regular reporting and tracking of identified risks from assessments.
- Engagement with GitHub team members and Microsoft Compliance partners in research and analysis of technical and process centric requirements in support of new vendor implementations.
- Contribute continuous improvement efforts for GitHub’s Third-party Risk Program with a focus on streamlining workflows and automating manual processes where practical.
- Provide feedback to business stakeholders on best practices with regard to establishment and operation of new vendors.
- Represent GitHub’s culture, tone and spirit of partnership with our vendors, coworkers, technology partners, and Microsoft peers.
- Contribute to the development of tools, automation, and practices to better support ongoing GRC services.
- Above all, you'll be getting your hands deep into the work and identifying new ways to solve problems and provide services inside our company.
Our ideal candidate takes an extremely pragmatic approach to Technical Third-party Risk Management, functions as part of a growing team, and is able to balance the needs of a very dynamic engineering culture with that of protecting the company and customer data.
This job is U.S. based and open nationwide, however, semi-frequent travel (<10%) to our San Francisco, CA headquarters, Portland, OR, or Seattle, WA, will be necessary for a remote worker. (NOTE: Due to current COVID-19 restrictions on travel, non-essential travel for GitHub employees has been suspended indefinitely)
- 5+ years prior work experience in technical risk management, information security, audit and/or compliance efforts, with a focus in a technical capacity at a large SaaS provider.
- 4+ years experience performing technology Third-party security and risk management lifecycle program work, including assessment, reporting and remediation planning and tracking activities.
- 4+ years experience building complex project plans and tracking completion, negotiating commitments and escalating on blocking issues constructively.
- Experience standing up and administering applications and tooling with a growth mindset for learning scripting and automating processes.
- Proven success in developing and using metrics/KPIs to assess, report on and improve program performance.
- Practical experience with NIST, AICPA TSP/SOC, PCI, FISMA/FedRAMP, COBIT, ISO, or other industry and regulatory frameworks.
- CISA, CISSP, CRISC, CIA or other relevant independent certification, or equivalent education.
- Proven communication skills and ability to understand the value and drivers behind adjusting style and tone for a given audience, including technical and non-technical peers across the company.
- Strong independent motivation, high comfort level with asynchronous work environments, written communication, use of chat tools.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Preferred Experience and Approach:
- Mastery at digging into problems, answering questions, and assisting colleagues both within the GRC team and across the company.
- Experience in an iterative, transparent environment where work is shared in draft stages and the belief of “Code speaks louder than words”.
- Proficiency in working under ambiguous situations, with demonstrated drive to bring clarity using communication and independent research of existing documentation and resources.
- Experience with team-centric mindset. Drawn to collaboration with a belief that we create a better result together.
- Expertise in functioning as a business to technology translator and help bridge the business view of compliance and risk management to technical engineering and operations staff and vice versa.
- Demonstrated confidence in ability to say "I don't know, but I will find out!" with a strong desire to learn.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.