GitHub is looking for engineers to join our Database Infrastructure team. We're a team that focuses on ensuring the reliability and scalability of the databases that power GitHub. We create self-service infrastructure to empower engineers across the organization.
- Design and build a core part of GitHub’s infrastructure, work to scale our database solution.
- Collaborate with teams throughout the company to provide technical leadership on database solutions and deliver systems that make us more effective.
- Cultivate open source projects developed at GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Work on significant and unique technical challenges where analysis may be complex. Evaluate and recommend solutions, guide decision making by considering technical tradeoffs.
- Escalate risks and advocate for the health and quality of the systems that the team builds, participate in an on-call rotation and respond to incidents as needed.
- The team is highly distributed across geographies and timezones, and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication.
- You have a track record of building infrastructure automation.
- Deep understanding of monitoring and troubleshooting.
- You have effective written communication skills and are able to develop working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
- Experience writing design docs that present technical tradeoffs and recommendations
- You have a pragmatic approach to decision-making and design choices.
- Prior experience working with databases, either RDBMS or NoSQL
- Excitement about building, operating, and maintaining resilient, scalable systems
- Excitement about architecturing scalable systems that impact a global community of users
- Drive for observability to understand performance and be able to diagnose problems
- Effective communication skills and willingness to pair on problems, brainstorm in public, and enthusiastically engage with your teammates in group problem solving
- Familiarity with Cloud Architecture, Cloud solutions for data and storage.
- History of success in a remote work environment
Nothing in life is perfect including this job description. You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences!
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.