The Executive Communications team at GitHub is responsible for building and coordinating internal and external communications programs for key GitHub executives.
This role will serve as a strategic advisor and thought partner to senior leaders, primarily supporting GitHub’s chief operating officer, and will develop thought leadership content, keynote presentations and speeches, and strategic employee communications. The role partners closely with the broader Communications team to effectively identify executive engagement opportunities — both internal and external — that will drive business impact, align with company and executive priorities, and positively position the company as the home for all developers.
This role is central to where business and culture meet and influences the information that is delivered to Hubbers and the GitHub community all over the world. The right person for this role understands the power of words, and is masterful at finding the right combination to convey a message. You are skilled in writing and editing for someone else’s unique voice, and you have a gift for storytelling. You excel in interpersonal communication skills and have demonstrated a history of good judgment over the course of your career. You are a high performer with a growth mindset who is both collaborative and autonomous, and you are excited about making an impact on a growing company.
The role is U.S.-remote based. Domestic and international travel may be needed post-COVID (expected 10-20% annually).
- Builds a deep understanding of executive’s objectives in order to tie communications work directly to desired business outcomes
- Partners with executives to establish core strategic messages for internal and external engagements, and prepares for expected reactions
- Owns internal comms deliverables for the executives – managing content and cadence
- Builds presentation narratives and content with executives – to be used to build keynotes, industry presentations, internal All Hands, and other speaking opportunities
- Partners closely with the PR, Customer and Influencer Comms, and Brand Comms teams to provide key executive messages for external communications
- Identifies key engagement opportunities (conferences, events, social media, etc.) where executives can share their perspective and build relationships
- Coaches executives in effective communications skills (i.e., oral presentation, active listening, etc.) and relationship building skills to help them become effective spokespeople for the company and department
- Provides superior communications counsel to senior leaders and enables them to lead dialogue with their respective stakeholders
- Monitors external and internal channels to identify communication opportunities
- Measures executive comms activities and makes informed recommendations on programs and changes
- 7+ years of professional experience in communications, with at least 3 years in executive communications
- Strong executive presence and ability to advise on communications strategy to all levels of the organization (and to persuade as needed)
- Can skillfully develop strategic communication plans with the Communications team and other internal stakeholders, and execute on them independently
- Adjusts successfully with a variety of teams, management levels, cultures, and personalities
- Skilled writer and editor with strong oral communications skills
- Strong organization and project management skills, and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and recommend a best course of action, focusing on the highest-impact work
- Ability to take a large amount of information from several places and distill it into a story or resource
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and has the ability to pivot quickly
- Proficiency in Google Slides, Keynote, and/or PowerPoint, G Suite, Microsoft Office
- Understanding of software development landscape, including the Open Source Software community
- Knowledge of industry must-attend events and key media opportunities for senior leadership
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.