GitHub is changing the way people build software together. We're growing fast and looking for an experienced Executive Assistant with excellent communication skills and attention to detail to support our Chief Operating Officer.
The Executive Assistant will be a “right hand” to our COO and her Chief of Staff, serving as a gatekeeper to the COO’s schedule and being responsible for supporting a range of projects and processes within the business. This is an excellent opportunity to learn, as you will get broad exposure to different aspects of the business and be entrusted with highly sensitive information on a regular basis. If you are energetic, enthusiastic and comfortable pushing back and saying “no” to others when necessary, this might be the right role for you. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a highly fast-paced environment and capable of making decisions with minimal guidance. We’re looking for an individual who never met a problem they couldn’t solve, and resourceful might as well be their middle name. By nature, this person is well-organized - if your sock drawer is color-coded, vacation plans for next fall already confirmed, files are neatly labeled, and taxes are done a month early, this could be your dream role!
You will also provide light support to other key leaders within the organization as needed.
This role is based out of our San Francisco office and reports directly to the COO’s Chief of Staff. You will only be asked to come to the office when the COO is in, which will typically be 3 days per week when she is not traveling.
You will need to take ownership of the following:
- Effectively act as a gatekeeper and general deputy of time, fielding internal and external scheduling requests and providing recommendations that are aligned with executives’ priorities.
- Manage and organize the COO’s highly complex and demanding calendar.
- Approach challenges with a positive and solutions-oriented perspective.
- Handle highly-confidential and/or sensitive matters with discretion and tact.
- Provide in-office support, including greeting guests and handling catering when required.
- Plan and coordinate events and offsites, including all logistical and budget requirements.
- Proactively develop relationships with key internal partners.
- Anticipate the needs of the COO by consistently staying two (or ten!) steps ahead.
- Facilitate effective meetings by driving agendas, gathering briefing docs, and ensuring meetings have a clear purpose and need for executive focus.
- Proactively resolve time-sensitive issues, demonstrating excellent judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Arrange complex and detailed travel plans as well as itineraries and agendas.
- Assist with presentations, talks and media communications.
- Manage meeting agendas, notes and minutes, and follow-up items.
- At least 5 years of experience as an executive assistant in a dynamic and high-energy environment.
- Experience working in technical environments and comfortable with project management.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies such as GitHub, project management software, and other business tools.
- Strong attention to detail when handling priorities, projects, and deadlines.
- Skilled in multitasking across various stakeholder needs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Skilled with creative, critical thinking.
- Ability to anticipate and prioritize needs.
- Proficient in Google Apps, particularly Google Calendar, and Google Docs.
- Proficient in communication technologies including Zoom, Slack, and Microsoft Teams.
- Ability to build positive working relationships with a highly technical audience.
- Flexible when it comes to responsiveness and adaptive to an ever-changing environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with all levels and departments within the organization.
- Professional demeanor and comfortable working with executives and VIP visitors.
- Must be able to work in-person at the San Francisco office when required; this is not a fully remote position.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- 5+ years of executive support, C-level support is preferred.
- Confidence in navigating ambiguous situations.
- Previous experience working at a startup or other high-octane environment is a plus.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.