GitHub is changing the way the world builds software and we want you to help. We are looking for an experienced software engineering manager to join a group of engineers in our Platform organization, as part of the department responsible for our developer experience and enhancing the enterprise platform and integrating that into our standard shipping flow. This team champions the infrastructure that our on-premise GitHub server runs in, and how it is built and distributed. Partnering well with other GitHub teams including Enterprise Support, Infrastructure, and Product Engineering is essential for this role. Familiarity with paired programming, TDD, unit testing, kanban and a desire to ship many times a day will fit well with our way of being.
We recognize the value this diversity brings to our teams and our products, so creating (and maintaining) an environment where every individual feels safe to bring their unique perspective to the challenges we're solving is important to us.
A day in the life:
Our team is distributed worldwide which means we work asynchronously much of the time. Your typical week would include:
- Collaborating with internal engineering teams, product management, and engineering leadership to align on and understand the problems we want to solve
- Working with the team to explore how we can solve them, often via real-time conversations in Slack or Zoom, with asynchronous communication in GitHub Issues, PRs, Discussions, and Projects
- Communicating effectively to support internal users, and inform stakeholders of progress as well as system status and team health
- Conducting 1:1s with direct reports to provide regular feedback and ensure career growth and progression, and holding staff meetings to coordinate work, build relationships, and identify opportunities and areas of improvement
- Working with your manager in your 1:1 meetings to grow yourself and career, and participating in department planning and running-the-business meetings
- Ensure the team ships products, features, and bug fixes regularly
- 3+ years experience as a full-time professional manager
- Experience communicating with high-level stakeholders and executing large initiatives in an iterative fashion
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your team
- Experience with Go or Ruby, plus experience in Kubernetes or other container orchestration systems
- Experience building out and maintaining large, distributed systems
- Developed and operated production applications in a Linux or Unix environment
- Nothing in life is perfect, including this job description! You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications.
- We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences.
Nothing in life is perfect, including this job description! You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.