We’re looking for a content strategist to bring GitHub’s content to life creatively and in the GitHub voice. This role isn’t just sharing a message, but actively thinking about how to better help connect developers with all that’s happening across the community and within GitHub. Given that, this person needs to have a deep understanding and first-hand experience with writing about software development, for SaaS companies, and for technical audiences. Knowledge of the software development industry and open source is a must. Part strategy, part execution, this role requires the ability to think high-level and long-term but also creating the content that drives the desired results.
This person will join the Brand Communications team, working cross-functionally with teams like Community & Influencer, Product Marketing, DevRel, Site Design, Product, social media, and the blog. This person has a strong understanding of and first-hand experience with developers’ challenges and loves the task of connecting them with the best solutions so they can focus on what matters, building great software. The team’s work is highly visible, so candidates should be comfortable working with executives and senior leadership. Excellent communication and collaboration skills, high levels of compassion for colleagues and the developer community, and eagle-eyed editing skills are absolutely required—as is the ability to multitask and project manage like a pro.
- Partner with campaign managers and subject matter experts to bring open source stories and product solutions to life, testing new and creative content approaches to connect with the community, and infusing the GitHub voice where appropriate
- Advise stakeholders on content distribution and production strategies
- Write and edit GitHub web properties—headlines, body copy, and long form web content
- Implement SEO strategy into site content
- Work with project managers, campaign managers, site, and creative teams to meet deadlines
- Partner with subject matter experts to create compelling narratives
- Apply data-driven learnings to iterate and improve
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Explain highly technical, complex concepts and features succinctly and in a way that deeply resonates with the developer audience
- 7+ years experience in editorial, content strategy, or writing roles for technical audiences
- Experience with both short and long-form writing including but not limited to creating website copy, email, blog, and case studies for external audiences, preferably technical audiences
- Knowledge of the software development industry and experience writing for the developer community
- History of working with cross-functional stakeholders, executing strategies to deliver excellent solutions, and managing cross-functional projects
- Ability to see top down and bottom up—can move seamlessly between high-level, strategic thinking and more nuanced, tactical lenses
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Exceptional communication skills
- Experience working closely with executives and senior stakeholders
- Ability to be nimble, empathetic, and collaborative
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in high-stress environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with strong editing abilities and attention to detail
- A portfolio of content written for developer audience
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.