GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help change the way we secure GitHub. We are looking for an experienced Threat Detection Engineer to contribute to our remotely distributed detection engineering team focused on identifying and responding to security threats against GitHub and Azure DevOps(ADO).
Interested in hunting and detecting threats on advanced and novel technologies at a massive scale, or automating response and remediation?
As a Threat Detection Engineer, you will work alongside other members of the GitHub Security and Engineering organizations on an awesome team of threat detection professionals. You will develop detection criteria and analytics for threats on Linux and Mac hosts, containers, Azure infrastructure, and SaaS applications. You will also automate response and remediation of threats, and assist in intrusion response.
Senior Threat Detection Engineer Responsibilities
- Develop threat detection criteria and analytics
- Automate response and remediation actions
- Develop tooling and automation for detection, analysis, data collection, and response
- Closely partner with dedicated corporate security and incident response resources to identify, investigate, and mitigate threats, alerts, and incidents
- Participate in an on-call rotation analyzing activity and responding to incidents
Required Skills & Experience
- 5+ years or more of demonstrable proficiency in threat detection, analysis, or incident response
- Significant experience with the entire threat detection lifecycle and collaborating with incident response, corporate security, security engineering, and threat intelligence resources
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with a strong sense of empathy
- Experience using, analyzing, or securing Linux in a production environment
- Analyst level development experience with Python, Ruby, Bash, Powershell or other scripting languages
- Several years experience effectively working with distributed and remote security teams
Preferred Skills & Experience
- General experience in the following disciplines with deep experience in one or more:
- Log analysis: Large scale analysis of standard and custom log types using client and server side log analysis tools such as Splunk, ELK, Kusto, and Sentinel
- Familiarity with file system, memory, or live response on MacOS, Linux, and Windows
- Network traffic analysis: Analyze network telemetry from intrusion detection systems and flow monitoring systems
- Detection development: Host and network level detection with tools such as osquery, yara, auditd, etc
- Threat intelligence: Collection, analysis, production, or consumption of threat data and finished intelligence
- Cloud detection and analysis experience: Experience analyzing and/or creating detection content for Microsoft Azure and/or AWS
- Experience with the MITRE ATT&CK framework
- Development experience with Python, Ruby, Bash, or Powershell
- Experience working with git, GitHub, and Microsoft Azure
- Experience analyzing, creating, or operating container-based applications
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.