GitHub helps companies, organizations, and groups of individuals succeed by allowing them to build better software, together. The engineering organization is looking for an experienced Senior Manager to join the Data organization and partner closely with our Director of Data Science to manage part of the organization.
The Data Science team is well-established and is rapidly expanding in scope. The team is composed of talented Data Scientists and Analysts that work closely with Product, other business functions and leadership to synthesize information from our data that influences decisions leading to products built that developers love. Today the team operates in a hybrid organizational engagement model:
Applied Science: Members report centrally but are directly embedded in specific areas of Product allowing for deep domain expertise to fluidly translate into statistical and machine learning applications.
Core Science: Members work on strategic priorities that leverage data to improve overarching product performance, guide experimentation for the company and help proactively level up the discipline of Data Science at GitHub via their broad purview.
Your job will be to lead Core Science within Data Science at GitHub. The Data Science team is highly distributed and the right candidate will thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have excellent written communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe. In this role also you will lead, provide guidance, support and advice to your team.
- Guide and facilitate setting the direction for the team by understanding how company and Data org objectives map to team and group priorities.
- Contribute to and create alignment across the team and with other teams in the Data organization and beyond.
- Develop and improve on processes to manage the team’s progress and ensure that it is resourced correctly.
- Ensure that individuals learn, grow, and advance in their respective careers.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging.
- 4 or more years experience managing data science or engineering teams.
- Strong understanding of statistical methods, theory, and application.
- Passionate about fostering good data science and engineering practices that scale and encourage reproducibility.
- Experience translating business and product questions into applications solvable with data science.
- Strong ability to communicate with senior management and distill complexity into easy to understand concepts that demonstrate impact.
- Enthusiasm for providing feedback, teaching others, and learning new techniques.
- Experience managing distributed remote teams.
- Experience deploying and maintaining ETL processes and machine learning models in a cloud environment.
- Proficiency with languages such as Python, R, and SQL
- Nothing in life is perfect, including this job description. You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of these qualifications. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences!
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.