GitHub is looking for a policy professional with the energy and passion to guide and support our platform policy strategy as a Platform Policy Analyst. This new role will join our small but mighty team working to build out GitHub’s platform policy strategy and function that puts developers first, safeguards trust in our platform, and provides a safe, healthy, and inclusive place for developer collaboration around the globe. This role is part of GitHub’s Policy team, within our Corporate External and Legal Affairs (CELA) team, which includes legal, policy, social impact, and trust & safety functions.
This role will help the GitHub policy team monitor and research content moderation and other platform policy issues in order to discern how developers may be impacted, and to develop materials and strategies for informing developers, policymakers, and internal stakeholders alike. This role also will help us advocate for and develop platform policies that reflect the realities and concerns of developers and software development, as well our own Trust & Safety team’s content moderation practices. In other words, it is hard to imagine a better opportunity for a policy professional with a passion for content moderation policy, open source, and global collaboration.
GitHub is the world’s largest platform for software developers and software development. Over 56 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together, and trust GitHub to host their software code, their personal information, and their collaboration with others. GitHub makes it easier for developers to work together, solve challenging problems, and create new technologies to advance human progress. GitHub's impact and customers are global, and our role in the support of open source software and software collaboration is key to creativity, innovation, and success in software transformation.
GitHub CELA is an innovative team of professionals, located across the U.S. and around the world, who collaborate closely together and with the business. The CELA team operates on the cutting edge of legal practice, developer policy, and social impact. Like the rest of the software world, we use GitHub itself to work more collaboratively, transparently, and efficiently. We believe strongly in working from first principles, practicing kindness and helping make each other and the team better, and being careful stewards of the unique GitHub culture we are developing together.
We value diversity of thought and experience, deep intellectual engagement with one’s subject matter, excellence and rigor in our work, a commitment to growth mindset and continuous improvement, developing a deep understanding of our products and services, social awareness, intellectual curiosity, and innovation in our practice. We require strong bias for driving results, and a commitment to putting developers first and building customer trust in our platform.
- Monitor applicable content moderation and intermediary liability laws, regulatory developments, and industry initiatives and help translate them into clear, concise, and actionable guidance for our product policy enforcement
- Track, summarize, and create detailed research and analyses on how platform policy proposals impact software developers and their communities and support development of advocacy strategy to fight for developers
- Contribute to blog posts, presentations, amicus briefs, educational materials, working documents/spreadsheets/databases supporting/resulting from above analyses
- Maintain and drive improvements to transparency reporting
- Contribute to/help maintain policy-relevant internal and public open source repositories
- Drive coordination with other teams whose work relates to platform policy
- 5+ years relevant experience inclusive of time spent earning relevant advanced degrees
- Great research and project organizational skills with exceptional follow through and attention to detail
- Fast, accurate, precise writer on technology policy topics
- Love for reading, dissecting, editing, and understanding from all sides policy documents such as those related to legislation, court cases, regulations, standards, site policies, licenses, policy-enacting software code, academic papers, and datasets
- Experience taking on projects involving different subject matters, and working with cross-functional organizations
- Demonstrated success in issue spotting, problem solving and the ability to be agile through change
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, transparent, fast-paced, and distributed workplace
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- A cover letter is required. A crisp cover letter, preferred.
- Experience in policy advocacy or in government
- Experience working on issues related to intermediary liability or platform regulation
- Familiarity with Open Source Software, developer ecosystems, and internet law and policy
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.