GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub!
The GitHub Security Products team is on a mission to secure the world’s software. We’re building tools that make it easy to find, fix and prevent security vulnerabilities, and are deploying them to millions of developers. Our products include GitHub’s dependency scanning, secret scanning, and code scanning capabilities.
We’re looking for a software engineer to help accelerate our goals in this space. In this role, you will have the unique opportunity to join a remote, diverse, and passionate team. You’ll help create and maintain features and experiences impacting millions of developers worldwide, and your work will have a direct impact on the security and sustainability of the Open Source ecosystem.
A day in the life on our team
We are a remote team, which means we work asynchronously most of the time. In your first 30 days, you can expect to foster a relationship with the team, learn how to ship a small feature or bugfix, end-to-end, and begin to understand the application architecture. In your first 90 days, you can expect to have shipped several small features and bugfixes, participated in code review, design discussions, and start to feel more comfortable owning a bigger feature from design to completion.
Beyond your onboarding, your typical week would include:
- Collaborating with design and product management to understand the problems we want to solve and exploring how we can solve them
- Discussing and collaboratively solving engineering and product problems in Slack or Zoom
- Opening Pull Requests to implement the next most important feature or fix the most critical bug
- Reviewing your teammates' Pull Requests and providing helpful feedback
- Working with your engineering manager in your one-on-one meetings to grow your team and career
- Strong written communication skills
- 5+ years experience as a full-time professional software engineer
- Ability to learn and think critically about both system design and software engineering concepts and blend those perspectives pragmatically based on project needs
- Experience building, operating, and maintaining resilient, highly available, scalable, distributed services
- Knowledge of testing, profiling, and debugging practices
- Familiarity with Go or Ruby on Rails
- Familiarity with Git and Git internals
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.