GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We are looking for a compassionate and experienced manager, with previous hands-on technical skills, to join the Data Pipelines team.
The Data Pipelines team is responsible for building and maintaining messaging systems that internal GitHub developers use to build data driven products for our customers. This includes building out our background job processing system and internal Kafka-based infrastructure (including language-specific clients, ingestion gateways, schema services and data warehouse ingestion components). The systems we build must operate at scale to serve the needs of our production environment, as well as run reliably at smaller scale in our single tenant enterprise environments.
As the Engineering Manager of the data pipelines team, you will be responsible for guiding the team in our mission to build reliable, maintainable and easy to use systems capable of handling billions of events per day. This role requires close collaboration with a broad cross-section of the company - from application developers to data scientists and analysts.
The Data Pipelines is a fully distributed team - the right candidate will thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have the ability to communicate complex technical concepts, and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe. In this role you will provide guidance, support and advice to your team, as well as communicate and form the team’s vision with the rest of the org.
Together we create the tools and products that are integral to how people build software. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional, and productive. We hope you are as well.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered through a collective sense of ownership and belonging
- Meet with team members 1-on-1 on a regular basis
- Ensure that team members learn, grow and advance in their respective careers
- Create a shared understanding of decision making, direction, and progress for the team, the company, and the community.
- Encourage an environment of technical excellence, and facilitate architectural discussions and decision making.
- Communicate with partner teams at GitHub
- 3-5 or more years experience managing engineering teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail in planning and organization
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Worked previously with a distributed team
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Prior experience managing a distributed team
- Experience with Kafka or other messaging/queue systems.
- Experience building highly available and scalable distributed systems
- Nothing in life is perfect, including this job description. You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of these qualifications.
- We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences!
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.