GitHub is looking for a highly skilled and experienced privacy and data protection lawyer to join its growing Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs (CELA) team. This senior level position will manage a small and growing team of privacy professionals, evolve privacy strategy and compliance programs for the company, and serve as a strategic legal advisor to executives on a broad range of privacy and data protection topics.
GitHub is the world’s largest platform for software developers and software development. Over 50 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together, and trust GitHub to host their software code, their personal information, and their collaboration with others. GitHub makes it easier for developers to work together, solve challenging problems, and create new technologies to advance human progress.
GitHub also continues to grow its product innovation, user base, and global presence. GitHub is the home for open source software developers, and is becoming more social to help developers easily communicate, collaborate, and connect with each other. With software development becoming a vital function at every organization on the planet, larger enterprise customers and the public sector is also increasingly turning to GitHub to participate in developer innovation on the platform and digitally transform their own internal software development.
GitHub's impact and customers are global, and its vision is to be the home for all developers. Earning and maintaining developer trust is critical to this vision and our business, and this includes elevating developer privacy in our company's policies, practices, and products. We’re looking for a privacy leader with the energy and passion to build a privacy and data protection program that puts our developer customers first, safeguards trust in our platform, and leads our industry on privacy.
GitHub CELA is an innovative team of professionals, located across the U.S. and around the world, who collaborate closely together and with the business. The CELA team operates on the cutting edge of legal practice, developer policy, and social impact. Like the rest of the software world, we use GitHub itself to work more collaboratively, transparently, and efficiently. We believe strongly in working from first principles, practicing kindness and helping make each other and the team better, and being careful stewards of the unique GitHub culture we are developing together. We value diversity of thought and experience, excellence and rigor in our work, a commitment to growth mindset and continuous improvement, developing a deep understanding of our products and services, intellectual curiosity, and innovation in our practice. We require strong bias for driving results, and a commitment to putting developers first and building customer trust in our platform.
You should have experience advising on the full spectrum of privacy and data protection issues facing software platform and social media companies like GitHub. We also expect a keen awareness of privacy and data protection issues that our users - whether individual developers, enterprise customers, or government organizations - are likely focused on when considering or using our offerings. You will apply this experience and customer-centric thinking to setting privacy strategy for GitHub, getting ahead of new developments in global privacy and data protection law, and continuing to build out a privacy compliance program for GitHub offerings, newly acquired companies, and our internal systems. Finally, and importantly, you should also have a passion for people management and fostering professional growth for their teams.
Your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Develop and strengthen GitHub’s privacy and data protection compliance program
- Review privacy implications of strategic initiatives, oversee privacy reviews of product launches and business practices, and focus on opportunities to improve GitHub’s policies and procedures
- Deliver strategic privacy legal advice and insights to the GitHub executive team
- Work closely with others on the CELA team on privacy and security incidents, government engagements, law enforcement demands, and internal investigations
- Provide privacy legal expertise to (a) the Product Legal team on product offerings, (b) the Commercial Legal team on customer engagements, and (c) the GPolicy team on privacy-related public policy for developers and software development
- Stay on top of applicable global privacy laws, regulatory developments, and accreditation standards and translate them into clear, concise, and actionable guidance for business and engineering teams
- Engage with the privacy legal community, including coordinating with our privacy colleagues at Microsoft and LinkedIn, to understand evolving issues and to help GitHub provide an industry leading privacy program for developers and our customers
- Lead and cultivate professional growth of a small but growing team of privacy professionals, including fostering an environment where members of your team are empowered to do the best work of their lives.
- JD or equivalent and a license to practice law in the United States
- At least 10 years’ experience as a practicing attorney, with depth of experience in privacy law and privacy compliance programs for technology companies
- A wonkish interest in global privacy and data protection law, as well as technology law and policy more broadly
- A passion for people management, strong management skills, and a commitment to fostering diversity, inclusion, and a strong sense of belonging across the CELA team
- A commitment to provide high quality client service and a strong desire to build trusted advisor relationships with key clients and executives
- A joy and passion for legal drafting that is clear, concise, and human readable, including the ability to simplify complex legal and technical scenarios
- Excellent academic credentials, high standards of integrity, a commitment to personal excellence, strong judgment, and intellectual curiosity that takes your understanding, work product and client relationships to the next level
- Demonstrated growth mindset and the ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and remote-first workplace
- Legal authorization to work in the United States
- Tailored cover letter and résumé are required for application to be reviewed
- CIPP certification
- Strong understanding of software technology and cloud services, associated business models, and technology industry trends
- Software engineering skills aren't required, but a basic understanding of software coding is a definite plus. GitHub CELA has technical acumen, deep understanding of the GitHub product, platform, and ecosystem, and is able to quickly learn new business and technology concepts
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.