GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub. We’re looking for an experienced full-stack software engineer to work on features and tooling in support of the Notifications service. The Notifications team builds systems that ensure GitHub’s users can successfully subscribe to, reliably receive, easily consume, and further optimize the streams of information they need to be effective contributors.
You’ll work with our team of engineers, designers, and product managers to build and maintain customer-facing experiences and deliver them into the hands of millions of developers across the world.
- Scope out and implement technical solutions that scale across multiple GitHub services
- Become intimately familiar with the systems you build and take pride in writing maintainable code
- Write architecture briefs and proposals, carry out code experiments, and build prototypes to learn how we can achieve planetary scale with our systems
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, pairing opportunities, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others
- Support the systems you build by triaging and debugging technical support requests and customer escalations by participating in a First Responder rotation
- Own and advocate for the reliability and quality of the systems that the team builds and participate in an on-call rotation, responding to incidents as necessary
- 3+ years of “full stack” experience building web applications in Ruby on Rails
- Strong SQL and general database knowledge
- Experience with RESTful API design and/or GraphQL
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- You have excellent analytical skills as well as communication skills both verbal and written. We’re a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
- You are a clear and effective communicator, be it when you write code, write emails, or explain complex technical issues to non-technical co-workers.
- You are passionate and self-motivated, with a demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with telemetry systems (e.g. Datadog, Sentry, VividCortex, Splunk)
- Experience with distributed systems, event-driven architectures and streaming data platforms (e.g Kafka, serverless functions)
- Experience with notification-style platform services
- Experience integrating with various third party delivery channels (e.g. SendGrid, Slack, Firebase)
- Experience building, integrating with, or providing APIs for mobile applications
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.