GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub. We're looking for an experienced software engineering manager to join a passionate, collaborative, distributed group of engineers on our team.
The GitHub Mobile team is changing the way that developers across the world collaborate on GitHub through native Android and iOS apps. Launched in March 2020, GitHub Mobile is one of our fastest growing products. The mobile team is part of the Client Apps organization, working alongside the GitHub Desktop and GitHub CLI teams.
This role will oversee one of our GitHub Mobile squads with Android, iOS, and server engineers located across the United States. You will partner closely with our other GitHub Mobile squad located primarily in Berlin, Germany.
Stack: Our apps are built natively with Kotlin for Android and Swift for iOS. Our apps communicate with GitHub via GraphQL APIs.
A day in the life of a Staff Engineering Manager:
Our team is distributed worldwide which means we work asynchronously most of the time. Your typical week would include:
- Work with design, data, and product management to understand the problems we want to solve, then working with engineers to solve them.
- Solving engineering and product problems with engineering collaborators via GitHub, Slack, and Zoom
- Planning with partner teams and stakeholders
- Create and foster a high-performance culture amongst your team
- Conducting 1:1s with direct reports to provide regular feedback and ensure career growth and progression
- Working with your manager in your 1:1 meetings to grow yourself and career
- Talking with users to get feedback and data about the apps
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership
- Meet with team members 1:1 on a regular basis
- Help the team ships products, features, and bug-fixes regularly
- Ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing, and advancing in their careers
- Effectively communicate directions and decisions with the team and company
- Build alignment with engineering, design, and product leadership
- Guide the team toward building high quality software across multiple platforms
- Strong written communication skills
- High degree of empathy
- 8+ years of experience designing, developing, and shipping high-quality software at scale
- 5+ years of engineering people management experience
- Experience working asynchronously on a remote, distributed team
- Strong attention to detail, planning, and organization
- Experience communicating with high-level stakeholders and executing large initiatives in an - iterative fashion
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
There are only a handful of folks who meet all qualifications. Is this you? Excellent, please apply. But we care most about managers that have a track record of caring deeply about their teams, management as a craft, and shipping software that helps people with their work. Either way, we want to hear from you.
- Experience with Android and/or iOS
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Knowledge of testing, profiling, and debugging practices
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.