GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub. We're looking for an experienced software engineering manager to join a passionate, collaborative, distributed group of engineers on our team.
The Coding department focuses on building features and advancing work related to Codespaces, Repositories, and Pull Requests. We work in a department-wide squad system where folks can work on any of those product areas.
A day in the life of a Staff Engineering Manager:
Our team is distributed worldwide which means we work asynchronously most of the time. Your typical week would include:
- Collaborating with design, analytics, support, and product management to understand the problems we want to solve and working with the engineers to explore how we can solve them
- Discussing and collaboratively solving engineering and product problems with engineering collaborators in Slack or Zoom
- Coordinating and communicating with partner team leads for planning purposes
- Communicating effectively with product stakeholders
- Conducting 1:1s with direct reports to provide regular feedback and ensure career growth and progression
- Working with your manager in your 1:1 meetings to grow yourself and career
- Talking with users to discover what they love and what their pain points are
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Meet with team members 1:1 on a regular basis
- Ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing, and advancing in their respective careers
- Ensure the team ships products, features, and bug fixes regularly
- Communicate effectively with the team and company ensuring clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions
- Work with engineering, design, and product leadership to ensure alignment and progress towards meeting milestones
- Ensure the team builds software that is architecturally consistent and of high quality
- Work with engineering, design, and product partners
- Provide compassionate technical leadership, mentorship, and opportunities to encourage the growth of others
- Strong written communication skills
- High degree of empathy
- 5+ years experience as a full-time professional manager
- Experience working asynchronously on a remote, distributed team (does not have to be professional experience)
- Strong attention to detail, planning, and organization
- Experience communicating with high-level stakeholders and executing large initiatives in an iterative fashion
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
There are only a handful of folks who meet all qualifications. Is this you? Excellent, please apply. But we care most about managers that have a track record of caring deeply about their teams, management as a craft, and shipping software that helps people with their work. Either way, we want to hear from you.
- Experience managing multiple teams
- Experience with Rails
- Experience with CSS and HTML
- Familiarity with Git
- Knowledge of testing, profiling, and debugging practices
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.