GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We are looking for a compassionate people manager who has previous hands-on engineering experience to join GitHub’s Storage team.
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead a distributed team of engineers building and maintaining our database infrastructure. This team is well-established and expanding as we grow and scale the storage solutions that power GitHub. The primary purpose of the Storage Infrastructure team is to support and develop all of the primary production services that GitHub supports for managing data.
You will lead the Database Infrastructure team within our Storage engineering organization, which is responsible for the database service design and architecture, database availability, performance and stability, Database monitoring and insight and educating and supporting the users of database services at GitHub.
The Storage group is highly distributed and the right candidate will thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have excellent written communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe. In this role also you will lead, provide guidance, support and advice to your team.
Together we create the tools and products that are integral to how people build software. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional, and productive. We hope you are as well. Do you want an opportunity to work with domain experts, foster a culture of engineering excellence, and guide team vision and priorities? You will join our community of people managers and help us build an environment where everyone can do their best work and grow as professionals.
As part of the highly distributed infrastructure organization, you will collaborate with other teams through an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You will build strong working relationships with peers. As a member of our team, you'll always be challenged to solve unique and interesting problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Meet 1-1 with team members on a regular basis.
- Give frequent, actionable feedback to support your team’s career development.
- Ensure that individuals on the team learn, grow and advance in their respective careers
- Create a shared understanding of decision making, direction, and progress for the team, the company, and the community.
- Communicate with partner teams in GitHub and Microsoft.
- 1 or more years experience managing engineering teams
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail in planning and organization
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Worked previously with a distributed team
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Experience managing distributed teams.
- Proficiency with languages such as Go, Ruby, and Bash.
- Significant experience with MySQL infrastructure.
- Evidence of open source advocacy.
- Experience with operations in a large production environment.
Nothing in life is perfect, including this job description. You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of these qualifications. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences!
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.