GitHub is changing the way the world builds software and we want you to help. We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to work with a dynamic and distributed group of engineers building the billing platform for GitHub.
This role will lead one of the Billing teams within our platform engineering organization. The Billing group supports all of our varied paid GitHub products, including per-seat pricing as well as more consumption-model pricing. We send over 27 million usage records to our subscription management provider per month, process ~13k payments per day, and process almost $40M in revenue every month. We operate at scale, and are critical to GitHub’s operations.
We are looking for a strong people manager who has previous hands-on engineering experience. You won’t need deep skills in all of the areas this team is responsible for, but you should be someone who can provide guidance, feedback, and advice to support your team.
Together we are building the largest community of developers in the world and allowing them to connect and help each other grow. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional, and productive. We hope you are as well.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Meet with team members 1-1 on a regular basis
- Ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing and advancing in their respective careers
- Ensure the team builds software that is architecturally consistent, of high quality, and that follows operational best practices
- Ensure the team ships products, features and bug fixes regularly
- Ensure the team, the company and the GitHub community have a clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions
- 2+ years experience with mentoring engineers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Have worked with a distributed team
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Developed or managed teams that focus on billing software
- Experience or passion for building billing and commerce platforms
- Experience or passion for software that enables culturally diverse groups
- Have managed a distributed team
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.