GitHub is looking for a highly skilled and experienced cybersecurity lawyer to join its growing Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs (CELA) team. This senior level position, which will report to the Head of Product and Regulatory Legal, will provide legal support for the GitHub corporate and product security teams, support incident response, advise on certain law enforcement topics, and act as a strategic legal advisor to the General Counsel and the rest of the executive team on a broad range of cybersecurity compliance topics and needs.
GitHub is the world’s largest platform for software developers and software development: Over 50 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across more than 100 million repositories, and trust GitHub to securely host their code, their personal information, and software collaboration. We make it easier for developers to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies to advance human progress.
GitHub also continues to grow its product innovation, user base, and global presence. With software development becoming a vital function at every organization on the planet, commercial and public sector customers are also increasingly turning to GitHub to participate in developer innovation on the platform and digitally transform their own internal software development.
GitHub CELA is an innovative team of professionals, located across the U.S. and around the world, who collaborate closely together and with the business. The CELA team operates on the cutting edge of legal practice, developer policy, and social impact. Like the rest of the software world, we use GitHub itself to work more collaboratively, transparently, and efficiently. We believe strongly in working from first principles, practicing kindness and helping make each other and the team better, and being careful stewards of the unique GitHub culture we are developing together. We value diversity of thought and experience, excellence and rigor in our work, growth mindset and continuous improvement, cultivating a deep understanding of our products and services, intellectual curiosity, a passion for technology, and innovation in our practice. We require strong bias for driving results, and a commitment to prioritizing developer and customer trust in our platform.
We are looking for a lawyer who has a deep understanding of cybersecurity and the security risks and nuances that face companies like GitHub. Your role will be to up-level, support, and provide thought leadership and best practices for all things related to security at GitHub. This includes supporting our incident response teams, our corporate and internal security program, as well as providing strategic cybersecurity counsel to the General Counsel, Chief Operating Officer, and other key executives responsible for security at the company. Ideally you will also help manage and advise on engagement with law enforcement.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Legal support of security incident response and management
- Legal support for a comprehensive corporate and insider threat program and policies
- Identifying potential gaps in GitHub’s policies and procedures related to security legal issues and working collaboratively to address
- Delivering strategic cybersecurity legal advice and insights to the GitHub executive team
- Legal support for other aspects of product and platform security, including bug bounty programs, and community engagement on security issues
- Provide expert, cybersecurity legal expertise to support both (a) the GitHub Policy team on security-related public policy for developers and software development and (b) the GitHub Legal team on security-related product offerings
- Translating complex cybersecurity-related laws, as well as looming cybersecurity risks, into clear, concise, and actionable legal guidance and best practices for business teams, in close collaboration with business, policy, and government affairs teams
- Engaging with the cybersecurity community and cybersecurity legal experts, including those across the Microsoft family of companies, to understand evolving issues and to help GitHub continue to have world-class security capabilities and protections for our customers and users
- Ideally, legal and policy support for certain kinds of law enforcement engagement, in coordination with relevant stakeholders across GitHub and Microsoft
- J.D. or equivalent and a license to practice law in the U.S.
- At least 10 years’ experience as a practicing attorney, with depth experience in cybersecurity and related subject matter
- A wonkish interest in cybersecurity and technology law of all sorts, including legal practice relating to customer- or regulator-reportable incidents; cybersecurity law and policy; corporate/insider threats; internal investigations, forensics, and compliance; and software security issues
- Comfortable with technical issues associated with incident response, software security, forensics, and threat intelligence
- A commitment to provide high quality client service and a strong desire to build trusted advisor relationships with key clients and executives
- Excellent academic credentials, high standards of integrity, a commitment to personal excellence, strong judgment, and intellectual curiosity that takes your understanding, work product and client relationships to the next level
- A joy and passion for legal drafting that is clear, concise, and human readable, including ability to simply describe complex legal and technical scenarios
- A proven track record of success on cross-team collaborations with a demonstrated ability to influence without authority
- The desire and ability to perform as part of a diverse and inclusive team, and to foster a spirit of diversity, inclusion and belonging across the CELA team
- Growth mindset, flexible, personable, and enjoys a dynamic, fast-paced, and remote-friendly workplace
- Legal authorization to work in the United States
- Tailored cover letter and résumé are required for application to be reviewed
- Strong understanding of software technology and cloud services, associated business models, and technology industry trends. Software engineering skills aren't required, but a basic understanding of software coding is a definite plus. GitHub CELA has technical acumen, deep understanding of the GitHub product, platform, and ecosystem, and is able to quickly learn new business and technology concepts.
- Ideally experience managing law enforcement agency referrals, coordination, and demands
- Ideally an ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. security clearance
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.