The Office of the CEO at GitHub is building a communications function focused on shaping the CEO’s communications spanning product vision, business strategy, and thought leadership. The scope includes responsibilities for creative storytelling and content development for both internal and external audiences through keynotes and written communications.
Foundational to success in this role is the belief in, and passion for, how developers and collaboration in open source help drive human progress. It includes scouting the best examples of open source developers at work and painting the picture of our vast network of online communities. And, this role will be responsible for building the CEO’s external communications platform from the ground up. This role reports to the Chief of Staff.
- Develop content for external audiences – including developers, customers, and business decision makers. Sample tasks:
- Create storyline and scripts for videos and speeches
- Create social media content, talking points, slides, and visuals
- Draft letters, video scripts, and press quotes
- Build content in GitHub Discussions and Gists
- Create event briefing documentsSupport setup and operation of production logistics
- Partner with marketing, product, and communications teams. Includes researching speech/keynote subject matter to find the most impactful stories, synthesizing talking points and messaging from teams across the company, and translating these inputs into C-level talking points.
- Review and evaluate CEO communications requests and engagement opportunities to determine appropriate format, content, and manage deliverables end to end with key stakeholders and project teams.
- Support the Chief of Staff by partnering with marketing and PR leaders across the company on key strategic communications.
- 7+ years in marketing or communications, in particular, exceptional speechwriting and content development
- A passion for storytelling, especially to developers
- Technical degree or experience working with developers
- Exceptional written communications skills demonstrated with written samples of work
- Demonstrated ability to scout and synthesize stories from a variety of inputs
- Elegant, and compelling work products (talking points, Q&A, etc.)
- Proven ability to listen and collaborate well – building and drawing upon a wide network, sparking great ideas, gathering and incorporating feedback and ideas from multiple stakeholders
- Contribute to the relationships with external communities and influencers
- Prior work as a developer either formally or informally
- Personal portfolio of writing samples (website, blog posts)
- Previous experience in a C-suite communications role
Who you are:
- A self-motivated individual, comfortable operating in a high volume and fast paced environment without sacrificing results.
- You work well in a team, and can operate with the highest levels of integrity and trust. This will require showing the utmost discretion in the management of confidential corporate information.
- Deeply collaborative and able to build close partnerships and orchestrate work across Github with key stakeholders in marketing, communications/PR, and counterparties at Microsoft.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.