GitHub’s Global Support organization is looking for a passionate, experienced, results-focused candidate to join the Support Content and Learning/Business Operations team as a Senior Technical Writer.
We’re looking for someone who can bring a love for and extensive experience writing structured, user-focused content to the Support organization’s internal documentation projects.
The role is primarily focused on writing and modeling clear, consistent, internal documentation across the GitHub Support organization’s global teams.
- Planning, writing, and iterating on a number of internal docs spanning GitHub’s full range of products and processes, from API reference to operational procedures.
- Guiding, editing, and moving along a variety of internal docs created by SMEs.
- Coordinating stakeholders and contributors on concurrent projects ranging from new ships documentation to content auditing and maintenance.
- Running intake for new requests and initiatives.
- Conducting lightweight user research and testing to inform documentation improvements.
- Contributing to and improving team workflows, resources, and advocacy projects.
In this role you will engage with key stakeholders and work in direct collaboration with the team’s Lead Content Strategist, and Lead Instructional Designer. You will work with and support the internal documentation needs of stakeholders and SMEs across a globally distributed Support organization and Interact with Engineering, Legal, Product Documentation, and other teams across GitHub.
The Support team is highly distributed and we embrace an environment of asynchronous communication. You'll need strong communication skills and the ability to build working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
- Extensive experience scoping, planning, writing, and editing documentation in a professional (or equivalent Open Source) capacity.
- Strong ability to plan, prioritize, and carry out multiple, complex documentation projects with high attention to detail.
- Experience working directly with stakeholders and SMEs to schedule and scope documentation projects.
- Proven ability to edit and rework existing documentation, especially that written by non-professional writers/SMEs.
- Ability to compassionately give and receive editorial and technical feedback.
- Experience working with established content models, style manuals, and/or structured content.
- Experience working with a remote/distributed team.
- Hands-on experience managing documentation projects from intake to shipping.
- Experience working on internal documentation.
- Experience working closely with (or in) a Support team.
- Training delivery and instructional design experience is a plus.
- User research and/or testing experience.
- Experience with API documentation or similar.
- A working knowledge of Content Design and Content Strategy best practices.
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub.
- Familiarity with XML, Jekyll, Markdown, and/or a programming language.
We value collaboration, empathy, quality, positive impact, and shipping. If you're a patient, compassionate writer who loves crafting content, we'd like to hear from you!
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.