We are looking for an experienced product security engineer to join our team that can help us to strategically push forward the state of product security throughout GitHub. The product security team is dedicated to identifying the most important application and product security risks and use our passion for building things to mitigate or eliminate those risks. To get specific, here are some things our team works on:
- Account security - We work to ensure only legitimate users can access their accounts. Examples include:
- Two-factor authentication (2FA) and WebAuthn
- Verified device protection for non-2FA users
- Protecting accounts reusing passwords leaked in other services
- Application security paved paths - We are passionate about projects where we can add defense in depth or secure by default security patterns. Examples include:
- Continually looking for modern web security standards we can leverage such as content security policy, samesite cookies, etc.
- Built/operate an internal cryptographic service used by other engineers and services throughout GitHub.
- Application security architecture - We collaborate with engineers throughout GitHub to develop solutions to security obstacles that strike the best balance between security, usability, and convenience.
- Help to identify the most important strategic product security focus areas for the team and GitHub itself
- Participate in security architecture discussions with other engineering teams throughout GitHub
- Stay current with emerging security standards and help to identify when and where they should be adopted at GitHub
- Participate in the team’s technical/architectural decision making
- Write robust, maintainable backend code
- Review code and lead group discussions about the projects we’re working on
- Develop systematic solutions to problems instead of focusing on one-off fixes
- Mentor other engineers
- A passion for application security related problems
- 5+ years building software applications at scale
- 3+ years designing/architecting secure systems at scale
- Working knowledge of web application vulnerabilities and mitigations
- Known for being a great communicator and collaborator
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Practical software development skills with Ruby on Rails or Go
- Working knowledge of applied cryptography
- Working knowledge of modern web security standards
- Experience mitigating account security risks
- Experience using Git and GitHub
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.