GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We’re looking for an experienced software engineering manager to join the GitHub Actions Platform team.
The GitHub Actions Platform team is responsible for the platform and the infrastructure that powers the Actions experience on GitHub. As a team we are building the future of code automation enabling our customers to innovate and collaborate on both their continuous integration / deployment scenarios as well as software development workflows. We are not only committed to delivering the best experience possible, but are committed to do that at a high availability & scale. You can learn more about GitHub Actions here: https://github.com/features/actions
In this role, you will be having the opportunity to work as an engineering manager with a distributed, diverse and passionate team delivering the platform and the infrastructure that millions of developers depend on. In this role also you will lead, provide guidance, support and advice to your team. You will also be involved in the design, rollout and support of a highly performant, highly scalable and highly available infrastructure with your team and product managers.
Together we are creating the tools and products that are integral to how people build software. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional, and productive. We hope you are as well.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Meet with team members 1-1 on a regular basis
- Ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing and advancing in their respective careers
- Ensure the team builds software that is architecturally consistent and of high quality
- Ensure the team ships products, features and bug fixes regularly
- Ensure the team, the company and the community have a clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions
- You will coordinate with engineering and product leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives
- You will mentor, pair, and delegate work to encourage the professional and technical growth of your team and those around you
- You will support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
- 3+ or more years of experience leading engineering teams delivering high availability, enterprise grade services
- 4+ or more years of experience developing production software using C/C++, C#, dotnet core, Ruby, Go or an equivalent language
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Solid understanding of testing principles and high quality software
- Demonstrated design skills for large scale and highly available cloud services or distributed systems
- Familiarity with DevOps best practices such as understanding of continuous integration & deployment as well as the ability to gather, analyze, debug and fix problems that occur with live production systems
- Experience with SQL, general database knowledge.
- Understanding of production system monitoring & observability is necessary.
- Troubleshooting skills across network, application, caching, queuing, load-balancing, storage and distributed services layers.
- Excellent analytical skills as well as communication skills both verbal and written. We’re a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
- Strong customer focus and data driven approach
- At least 1 year of remote work experience leading a software team
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.