GitHub is committed to doing right by our customers. Developing a highly effective control environment and right sized technical risk management solutions and processes are integral to this commitment.
GitHub is seeking an experienced and detailed oriented individual to support the Security-GRC Audit and Compliance function within a rapidly growing organization. This position is for a senior independent contributor in the Security-GRC team focused on audit readiness and control design. As part of the Security-GRC Audit and Compliance team, you will lead design discussions, review, testing and reporting on corporate facing compliance considerations and representing the organization in a wide variety of governance work.
Are you prone to fits of root cause analysis? Can you spot over-engineered controls from a mile away? Do you love the challenge of diving into the details and learning why and how things work? Do you want to see The Big Picture, and find ways to collect and organize data to tell the story? Maybe have a strong forest-from-trees project management perspective, or a masterful "Way With the Project Plan"? Do you suffer from a compulsive need to document things and “get it down on paper”? Do you enjoy working with others to figure out the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
The Security-GRC team applies the GitHub cultural standard to how we work - transparency, iteration, collaboration. We share our work early and often, and take feedback from our peers and partners across the company. These cultural functions are critical to GitHub’s ability to iterate on ideas and ship them successfully. We think critically about risk and the intersection of business with technology, and believe that risk management is more than a series of checkboxes. We also like to have some fun along the way!
As part of the Security-GRC team reporting to the Security-GRC Audit and Compliance Manager, you will work closely with multiple groups including MSFT corporate team, software engineering, infrastructure, security operations, application security, legal, finance, and HR to develop sound data security processes and technical controls to meet customer needs, satisfy external audit requirements, and address internal business objectives.
This is an excellent opportunity for a strong independent contributor with an awareness that this is a team effort. Primary job duties include:
- Lead From Any Chair - You model influence without control, bringing your team members, leadership, and customers along for the ride is integral to your success.
- Represent GitHub’s culture, tone and spirit of partnership with our technology partners and vendors as key function of day to day work.
- Play a lead role in the buildout of GitHub’s corporate compliance and internal audit readiness practices.
- Create and manage related compliance and remediation project plans and track successful completion of work, ensuring alignment with strategic product and service milestones and roadmap.
- Research and develop easy-to-consume compliance related requirements for the product, IT, engineering and software development teams, and function as technical SME during external audits.
- Contribute to the development of controls and continuous compliance testing, design remediation and risk mitigation solutions, and collaborate cross functionally to establish high levels of automated testing and evidence collection.
- Contribute to the development of tools and practices to better support ongoing Security-GRC services.
Our ideal candidate takes an extremely pragmatic approach to assessing and addressing compliance risk, functions as part of a growing team, and is able to balance the needs of a very dynamic engineering culture with that of protecting the company and customer data.
This job is U.S. based and open nationwide, and is a remote work position. Semi-frequent travel (+/-10%) primarily to San Francisco CA, Portland OR, or Seattle WA.
- 5+ years prior work experience in information security, data security, technical risk management, or compliance. Proven experience with MSFT corporate governance activities (Finance, Internal Audit, Enterprise Risk) and commercial SaaS/IaaS/PaaS certification.
- Demonstrable understanding of data security related regulatory landscape.
- Practical experience with COBIT, ISO, FISMA/FedRAMP, Cloud Security Alliance/STAR program, PCI, AICPA TSP/SOC, or other industry and regulatory frameworks.
- Experience in a cloud-based environment with big data / data analytics and reporting / data warehousing.
- CIA, CISA, CISSP, CIPP or other relevant independent certification, or equivalent education.
- 3+ years experience building complex project plans and tracking completion, negotiating commitments and escalating on blocking issues constructively.Experience working in an integrated, test once/use many times compliance environment.
- Ability to develop and use metrics/KPIs to assess program performance.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to and recommend adjustments to workflows.
- Proven communication skills and ability to understand the value and drivers behind adjusting style and tone to audience, including C-level and VP/Director-level stakeholders, as well as technical and non-technical peers across the company.
- Strong independent motivation, high comfort level with written communication, use of chat tools and asynchronous communication skills.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- High comfort level working under ambiguous situations, with natural drive to bring clarity using communication and independent research of existing documentation and resources. Confident in ability to say "I don't know, but I will find out!"
- Team-centric mindset - drawn to collaboration, teamwork, and a belief that we create a better result together.
- Desire to dig into problems, answer questions, and assist colleagues cross team and cross company.
- Comfortable with the belief of “Code speaks louder than words” and an iterative, transparent environment where work is shared in draft stages.
- Compulsive about getting it down on "paper".
- Ability to function as a business to security translator and help bridge the business view of compliance and risk management to technical engineering and operations staff and vice versa.
- Strong information security background in either software development or systems operations.
- Ability to write basic scripts to automate audit evidence collection, metrics reporting, and integrations between tooling and systems.
- Prior technical program management and/or project management experience.
- Experience working on a remote team in an asynchronous workflow.
- Exposure to software version control systems/Git and GitHub.
- Experience with the review of systems and solutions as part of an internal risk assessment, procurement process, or other program.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.