GitHub is changing the way the world builds software and we want you to help. We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to work with a dynamic and distributed team building the tools that developers need to connect, share, inspire others, and grow on GitHub.
As an engineer on the Community team, you will focus on efforts to help developers connect with each other on GitHub and thrive in their work. The GitHub community is the most vibrant developer community in the world, and is the heart of GitHub’s success. Teams within Community are focused on enabling developers to connect with each other and the lives of everyone on GitHub, by leveraging the unique, thriving community that supports and collaborates with each other on GitHub. Today, the Community team is focused on GitHub Education, GitHub Explore, GitHub Sponsors, Learning Lab, new user onboarding, and new social experiences.
We are looking for a senior engineer that is inspired to build solutions to further enrich the GitHub developer community. This will be a customer focused engineering role, working closely with product and design to ship features available to everyone in the GitHub community!
- Evaluate and recommend solutions to guide team decision making
- Mentor, pair, and delegate to encourage professional and technical growth
- Coordinate with product, design, and support to refine ideas into solutions, and maintain a backlog of priorities
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to accomplish project goals and solve cross company issues
- 6+ years building web applications
- 2+ years building large, high traffic web applications at scale
- Experience with web applications in Ruby on Rails
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Solid knowledge of testing principles
- Experience with relational databases
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience building or maintaining planetary scale engineering systems
- Experience with building or maintaining web applications in node.js
- Experience working with a remote, distributed team
- Ability to evaluate the trade-offs for building highly available distributed systems
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.