GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub. We're looking for a senior software engineer to join a passionate, collaborative, distributed group of engineers on our team.
Our team is working on a new, exciting product that will remove friction from the software development process.
A day in the life of a team Software Engineer:
Our team is distributed worldwide which means we work asynchronously most of the time. Your typical week would include:
- Collaborating with design, analytics, support, and product management to understand the problems we want to solve and exploring how we can solve them
- Discussing and collaboratively solving engineering and product problems with engineering collaborators in Slack or Zoom
- Opening a Pull Request to implement the next most important feature or fix the most critical bug
- Trying to reproduce a reported bug and responding to issues we’ve received from the community
- Reviewing your teammates' Pull Requests and providing helpful feedback
- Working with your engineering manager in your one-on-one meetings to grow your team and career
- Talking with users to discover what they love and what their pain points are
- Design, scope, and implement technical solutions that scale across multiple GitHub web applications
- Collaboratively define and prioritize projects and tasks
- Drive thoughtful conversations around technical issues and opportunities
- Review code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback for your team and the community
- Triage, reproduce, and debug technical support requests, bugs, and feature requests reported by users in our Issues on GitHub
- Provide compassionate technical leadership, mentorship, pairing opportunities, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others
- Strong written communication skills
- High degree of empathy
- 6+ years experience as a full-time professional coder
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience working asynchronously on a remote, distributed team (does not have to be professional experience)
- Ability to draw on both system design and software engineering concepts and blend those perspectives pragmatically based on project needs
- Experience building highly available services at scale
There are only a handful of folks who meet all qualifications. Is this you? Excellent, please apply. But we care most about developers that have a track record of caring deeply about shipping software that helps people with their work. Either way, we want to hear from you.
- Experience building, operating and maintaining resilient, scalable distributed services
- Experience with Go
- Experience with CSS and HTML
- Familiarity with Git
- Knowledge of testing, profiling, and debugging practices
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.