We are looking for a Senior designer to join the Marketing Design team. In this role, you will be responsible for leading site-wide design improvements, setting the gold standard of design execution, transforming a new visual identity into effective user experiences and landing pages. You’ll be working as both a team lead and an individual contributor, creating world-class designs while mentoring other designers on the team. You know that the best designs require more than just pixels; you’re willing to jump in to copy and development workflows. Collaboration is the key to GitHub’s success, and you will work closely with other designers, project managers, engineers, and marketing team stakeholders to propose design solutions and ensure a successful outcome.
- Own the end-to-end designs for marketing experiences, from idea to UX to pixel-perfect execution
- Partner with the Web Art Director to establish a vision for the future of GitHub’s brand and visual strategy
- Partner closely with the Site Design Manager to inform and influence team processes and best practices
- Provide regular, direct and impactful feedback in design and code reviews with your teammates to ensure high-quality execution and continuously up-level the team’s design output
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand the business need and translate goals into effective designs
- Polish your designs in code. (We love to hire designers who can code so there's no back-and-forth handoff with engineering — this helps us move fast!)
- Use, contribute to, and evolve GitHub's design system and brand guidelines to ensure consistency across our web properties
- Produce sketches, wireframes, prototypes to present a concept to stakeholders and gather feedback to improve your designs
- Actively mentor fellow designers, helping them grow their skills and design toolkit.
- Identify, advocate for, and own design-driven projects and initiatives that have cross-team impact.
- A portfolio that demonstrates masterful understanding and application of layout, color, and typography
- A strong body of marketing work that tell a compelling and consistent story about a product, business, or initiative
- Proven ability to present your designs to senior leadership, communicate the reasoning behind your work, and translate feedback into an updated proposal
- Experience both working within established design systems as well as evolve them with consideration for the platform’s future.
- Consideration for the business needs, implications, and future possibilities of your designs. You don't get stuck on pretty UI, and can balance between craft, speed and the bottom line
- Experience collaborating closely with non-designers and bringing design thinking and processes to a wider team or organization
- Experience in fast-paced environments and an ability to estimate, balance, and adhere to complex timelines
- Ability to write semantic HTML and functional CSS to bring design to life in the browser
- Experience with designing and/or building responsive, mobile-first web pages.
- Ability to work in an autonomous, remote-friendly environment where communication and collaboration are frequently asynchronous and in writing.
- Experience in illustration and/or branding.
- Experience in data-driven design and testing.
- Experience contributing to and/or maintaining a front-end design system or style guide.
- Familiarity with Jekyll, GitHub Pages, other static web tools to build websites.
- Experience with Git and GitHub workflows
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.