GitHub is home to developers who maintain some of the most critical open source projects in the world. Their code is used by millions of people globally: on phones and laptops, as well as in banks and rocketships. These maintainers use GitHub to build the world. As developers, they are some of GitHub’s biggest power users.
You will have the opportunity to define the vision, and you’ll be responsible for the success of new and existing programs. Your decisions will impact thousands of world-class developers and millions of people’s lives.
This is a vital role for the success of Open Source and GitHub, and will report to the Head of Developer Relations.
- Help create process, and define the vision for GitHub’s engagement with open source developers, and build our open source programs. Where do we go in 6 months? In 1 year? 5 years?
- Be creative, thoughtful, and biased towards execution. You have ideas, and you’ll do what it takes to make them happen.
- Identify, grow, and manage our key program offerings for Open Source Maintainers. These should deepen relationships between maintainers, as well as their relationship with GitHub, both online and offline.
- Own and execute the open source advisory board.
- Build out a CRM / Open Source Maintainer database.
- Moderate day-to-day community activity in the private discussion forum.
- Represent the voice of the Open Source Maintainer internally, working with teams across the company to bring your insights back into GitHub.
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Experience growing a VIP program for developers, especially in a creative industry
- A philosophy on nurturing developer audiences that’s been battle-tested.
- Managed the customer experience of a developer product in the past.
- Spearheaded the launch of several successful developer tools. If you have a portfolio you’re proud of, we definitely want to see it.
- 6+ years of relevant experience in Program Management, Technical Program Management, or other technical/engineering role.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and influencing skills.
- Proven ability to manage complex projects or programs.
- Experience working with internal teams to drive cross-team projects to completion.
- Motivated self-starter with an attention to detail, but who’s also flexible and comfortable with changing priorities.
- Ability to manage multiple initiatives effectively across competing development and operational priorities.
- Ability to identify key issues and empower other team members to address them in a way which builds morale and generates ownership and commitment.
- Been a key part of a large and successful open source project on GitHub.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.