GitHub is seeking a Senior Manger of Trust and Safety - we call it User Policy - to join the Legal and Policy organization and lead a team of top-notch Trust and Safety professionals dedicated to ensuring a safe, productive, and welcoming environment to developers all over the world. GitHub’s impact is global, and our role in the support of open source software and global software collaboration is key to creativity, innovation, and success in software transformation everywhere. GitHub is also experiencing a continuous wave of incredible growth and innovation on our platform, with many users joining every day looking to collaborate and learn, which means this team and its importance continue to grow over time. The mission for the User Policy team and its manager is core to GitHub’s mission and key to our success.
The head of the User Policy team and the team itself use their experience from the daily contact with users and user-generated content, and their daily application of our content moderation policies, to the continuous refinement fo our user policies. Those policies in turn help shape the developer experience on GitHub and allow the communities on GitHub to thrive, all thanks to the effective and open collaboration between other teams within the Legal and Policy organization, including public Policy and Legal Support. We believe strongly in working together and from first principles, questioning tradition and basic industry assumptions, and being attuned to the unique GitHub culture that we are developing together. We value diversity of thought and experience, deep intellectual engagement with one’s subject matter, intellectual curiosity, innovation, social awareness, and high emotional intelligence. We also want to hire a Senior Manager with experience managing professionals working on UGC trust and safety issues, who can be attuned to the needs of such professionals and help ensure a healthy and high functioning team.
- Manage and mentor a fully distributed team of User Policy Specialists, providing performance feedback and guidance, supporting career development, and curating a healthy team culture that prioritizes inclusion, collaboration, and supporting each other in this work. . Serve as the team’s hiring manager.
- Handle some amount of day-to-day content review and removal work as necessary, serve as point of escalation for challenging cases, and
- Be responsible for operational efficiency, and shape the scaling plan for the team.
- Ensure content removal requests are analyzed and processed correctly in order to mitigate legal and reputation risk, maintain user trust, and comply with applicable laws.
- Work closely with GitHub’s Legal and Public Policy teams to help create and refine user policies and shape GitHub’s global safety strategy.
- Engage with company, and parent company leadership on different User Policy issues.
- Coordinate with the Public policy team, PR, product management, product marketing, trust and safety, and other cross-functional teams on external communications, policy development, product development, internal and external tooling for content moderation, and product launches.
- Lead consensus building and drive coordination across the company.
- 8+ years of experience in User Policy teams (content moderation, trust and safety), at least 2+ years experience in the management of such a team working for companies that offer platforms supporting user generated content.
- Experience applying different site policies, and creating processes for content review.
- Experience with IP moderation (copyright and trademark), experience working with abuse, spam or fraud detection, misinformation, privacy, government take downs, trust & safety issues.
- Experience taking on projects involving different subject matters, and working with cross-functional organizations.
- Have interest and knowledge in law and policy as it applies to user-generated content platforms.
- A strong sense of empathy for team members, colleagues, and users.
- Focus on management skills and a passion for building and enabling high performing teams.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to be agile through change.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, transparent, fast-paced, and distributed workplace.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to coherently and strategically present information to product and engineering professionals, findings and recommendations in a clear manner.
- Demonstrated program ownership and consistent delivery on commitments - great organizational skills with exceptional follow through and attention to detail.
- Deep understanding of Open Source Software, developer ecosystems, and law and policy relating to user generated content platforms.
- Coding knowledge.
- Experience in moderation, and moderation processes of different types of content.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.