The GitHub Product Documentation team is on a mission to guide every person who uses GitHub to confidently meet their goals. We create content for a range of people with different needs and at all levels. Our mission has grown in the last year as we deliver product documentation in additional languages outside of English and seek to truly lower the barrier to entry in tech.
We’re looking for an intern to contribute to our mission and create content that helps people on their GitHub journey. You’ll write documentation that millions of users will read and will learn how to collaboratively work on content with a team of people who share a common goal of helping people.
As a member of the Product Documentation team, you’ll work closely with other writers, our product documentation engineers, and our localization project manager. We’re a collaborative team that works together to plan, write, edit, and publish content.
In your role, you may:
- Develop a content strategy for changes you plan to introduce to the documentation set
- Following our content models and style guide, write content for a wide range of audiences
- Work closely with Hubbers across the company to develop accurate information for our users
What you'll learn:
- Strategy: Determine what changes need to be made to best represent the product and our company strategy while also serving the needs of our users
- Writing: Grow advanced technical writing skills, including adhering to existing standards, using plain language, and understanding what information to include in product documentation
- Collaboration: Work closely with members of the team across the entire content development lifecycle to ensure multiple perspectives
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Technical aptitude, especially as it pertains to learning new software products
- Experience with Git and GitHub is a bonus
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why you should join our Summer 2020 Intern Program:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in countries across the globe.
We love watching talented people learn and explore their skills. Our internships are designed to give you unique work experience by pairing you with real GitHubbers on real projects.
Requirements & Details for GitHub Summer Interns:
- You will be based at our headquarters in San Francisco, CA. Our internships are paid and we provide furnished housing in San Francisco.
- Your internship will be 10 weeks from June 8th, 2020 to August 14th, 2020. We will accommodate quarter system intern starts.
- You must be a student enrolled in a university, community college, associate, or graduate school program to be eligible
- You must be returning to school the Fall after your internship (Fall 2020)
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!