We’re looking for a Software Engineering Intern to work on GitHub.com — you’ll work with our team of engineers to build and maintain features that create rich and compelling experiences for millions of developers across the world.
We work on features that enable our largest customers to have a seamless experience managing how they use GitHub. We are building a suite of solutions which customers will use to administer and manage how they use GitHub enabling a more seamless experience from the traditional enterprise to GitHub on both cloud and self-hosted environments.
You will join as a member of a team of experienced engineers that are responsible for building high quality features on projects in our existing product backlog. You will gain real world experience on working on a system at scale and experience the importance of collaboration, communication, iteration, and trust in developing scalable software systems.
As part of your job you can expect to:
- Pair program with teammates to optimize solutions and work through challenges
- Work with product managers, designers, and other engineers to build new features and bring ideas into solutions
- Document the systems you help build and help ensure our internal and external stakeholders know what we are working on
- Contribute to discussions about the projects we're working on, demo, and showcase your work for people see
- Ensure quality software by writing automated tests and performing manual tests in our staging environment.
- Find, diagnose, and address bugs and performance issues
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web development framework (Django, Express, etc)
- Understanding of git and use of GitHub is nice to have.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why you should join our Summer 2020 Intern Program:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in countries across the globe.
We love watching talented people learn and explore their skills. Our internships are designed to give you unique work experience by pairing you with real GitHubbers on real projects.
Requirements & Details for GitHub Summer Interns:
- You will be based at our headquarters in San Francisco, CA. Our internships are paid and we provide furnished housing in San Francisco.
- Your internship will be 10 weeks from June 8th, 2020 to August 14th, 2020. We will accommodate quarter system intern starts.
- You must be a student enrolled in a university, community college, associate, or graduate school program to be eligible
- You must be returning to school the Fall after your internship (Fall 2020)
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!