GitHub is seeking a Software Engineering Intern to join our team. This team builds high-fidelity, scalable messaging tools on GitHub.com.
As an intern at GitHub and with our team, you'll work on production solutions that improve the messaging experience on GitHub.com. You can expect to learn and sharpen technical skills but more importantly, experience the importance of communication, empathy, safety, and iteration in the development of software at scale.
On any given day you can expect to:
- Work with designers, product managers, and other engineers to refine ideas into solutions.
- Work with engineers to break those solutions down into smaller, prioritized deliverables that will allow us to gather feedback that confirms our direction.
- Implement solutions with React, Go, and Rails, working with your teammates to control scope in the face of edge cases and other complexities.
- Ensure quality software by writing automated tests and performing manual tests in our staging environment.
- Find, diagnose, and address bugs and performance issues.
- Build safety and community best practices into production-level features.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web development framework (Django, Express, etc)
- Experience with Go
- The ideal candidate will also have an appreciation for or familiarity with open source software development and maintenance.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why you should join our Summer 2020 Intern Program:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in countries across the globe.
We love watching talented people learn and explore their skills. Our internships are designed to give you unique work experience by pairing you with real GitHubbers on real projects.
Requirements & Details for GitHub Summer Interns:
- You will be based at our headquarters in San Francisco, CA. Our internships are paid and we provide furnished housing in San Francisco.
- Your internship will be 10 weeks from June 8th, 2020 to August 14th, 2020. We will accommodate quarter system intern starts.
- You must be a student enrolled in a university, community college, associate, or graduate school program to be eligible
- You must be returning to school the Fall after your internship (Fall 2020)
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!