Founded in 2008, GitHub has brought millions of developers together to discover, share, and build better software. Today, the GitHub community includes over 36 Million users, and north of 100M user repositories. It is hands-down the largest developer community in the world, and in turn, GitHub has become the most visible and beloved brand in the developer ecosystem.
In June of 2018, Microsoft announced its intent to acquire GitHub for $7.5B, a massive, and highly visible acquisition that was officially completed in the fall of 2018. Since then, Satya Nadella has spoken extensively about the responsibility to the developer world that comes with the GitHub acquisition, and Microsoft’s continued commitment to developer freedom. GitHub is operated as an independent business with a developer-first ethos and a completely open approach to ALL clouds. Microsoft already houses more open source code than any company in the world. The goal in the acquisition is simply for GitHub to become the number one company in the developer world!
The question is now: how do we leverage GitHub’s enormous user community and highly visible brand to continue to build a world-class business, and continue to be the most important company in the world for developers. Given GitHub’s centrality within the developer ecosystem - the most important part of the entire tech ecosystem - the possibilities for GitHub from a product standpoint are nearly limitless. In the past six months GitHub has dramatically accelerated its product and future roadmap to include innovations that further distance GitHub from its competitors.
The Product Marketing Team
Product Marketing operates at the intersection of product management, sales, and the larger marketing organization. We collaborate closely with these teams and other areas of the company to clearly communicate the value of our solutions to our users and customers. We support upwards of 100 product ships each year to millions of users and thousands of companies all over the planet. In addition we help shape the overall company strategy and message, including our naming, packaging, and pricing for all products.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Create clear, differentiated messaging and positioning for our products
- Work closely with PMM peers to quickly iterate and refine our messaging and content
- Support our product launch process, including company readiness, collateral updates,
- PR/AR initiatives, digital campaigns, and demand gen programs
- Support the development for content generation across all our properties and campaigns.
- Develop collateral including white papers, blogs, and presentations
- Support the creation of enablement materials such as demos and videos for customer facing teams (sales, sales engineers, consulting, etc)
- Support a rigorous competitive analysis program with deep resources and succinct summaries
You should have:
- 3-7 years of experience in enterprise software, preferably focused on SDLC, open source, or platform technologies
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate on successful projects in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to influence wide audiences at all levels and work effectively across functions and geographies
- Be comfortable working with data, and embrace of evidence-based practices for marketing
- Strong interpersonal skills; world class written and oral communications skills
- Joy in collaboration with colleagues, sometimes leading, sometimes following
- Solid understanding of developer workflows and tooling
- Experience marketing to developers
- Deep understanding of GitHub, our users, and at least one programming language a major plus
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.