At GitHub, we believe software development is the world’s largest team sport, from developers working within a company, on an open source project or even hacking on an idea. From our initial innovation in the Pull Request, and it’s ability to enable collaboration around code, to pioneering products like the GitHub Dependency Graph and Automated Security Vulnerability Detection, we create products that help developers to collaborate across all stages of their software development journey and to build better software faster.
The Product Management team embodies the GitHub philosophy of “being customer obsessed.” Our customers want to be heard and want to hear from product managers that their needs have been internalized by GitHub. You’ll take that understanding and work closely with engineering and product design from idea to launch bringing the customer angle to every single decision being made. You’ll also work with our go-to-market teams like Sales, Marketing and Support to make sure customers are informed and excited about the value we’re creating.
In this position, you will be responsible for managing GitHub’s API. Our API is a critical aspect of the development journey because it allows developers, organizations and third parties extend and customize software development journeys beyond what’s possible in the product today. Architect the future of our products by bridging engineering and business as you manage a product's full lifecycle, from idea to release. You will be an integral part of achieving the goal of making GitHub the home for all developers.
- Act as product owner for the GitHub API and Events products by establishing a vision, defining measurable goals, and tracking progress through quick iteration
- Perform competitive analysis and customer research to better understand the market and customer needs
- Gain strategy and roadmap support from stakeholders by writing narratives and influencing peers and senior leadershi
- Guide products through their lifecycle, advocate new product opportunities or deprecations, and address challenges, barriers and dependencies with stakeholder
- Develop, articulate, and promote data-driven decisions to solve complex product design and engineering challenges
- Lead product launches and work collaboratively with engineering, design, product marketing, and legal to attain our business goals
- Actively and successfully drive customer adoption, success and deep engagement of your product areas
Success requires the following skills and experience:
- 5+ years of experience in Product Management managing multiple competing priorities and engaging technical & non-technical stakeholders
- Experience building roadmaps, managing product backlogs, and working closely with software development teams to build new products and features in a fast paced environment
- Consistently own the outcome for objectives and associated output from multiple teams
- Ability to make tradeoffs between technical scale, business outcomes, and customer needs
- Take initiative to identify and solve important problems, working with others to define the cross-cutting issues that impact other teams and parts of the product
- Scope and stage work to deliver value to customers and gather feedback incrementally
- Ability to work with teams at all levels of the organization
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong analytical skills. Experience using data to drive decisions and illustrate business conclusions
- Experience in organizations that serve developers
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed
- Proficiency in one or more programming / scripting languages (SQL, Python, JS, etc)
- Bachelor or postgraduate work in computer science or a related field
- 3+ years experience within a SaaS oriented software company
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 36 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.