The IT Operations team at GitHub is growing! Your customers are GitHub's global workforce - end users throughout the company who rely on our systems every day. Our customers look to us not only for support but also to build and maintain internal tooling and configure systems, enabling Hubbers to do their best work with the least amount of friction. We're looking for an IT Operations Engineer who is an eager learner, capable of scripting, developing tools from scratch, automating (almost) all of the things, configuring servers, and being an awesome customer-focused collaborator.
Your main responsibility will be to work with our team in San Francisco via GitHub, Slack, Zoom and in-person interactions to facilitate the success of the larger IT organization. In addition, the IT Operations Engineer is responsible for responding to support and project-focused tickets that are opened in relevant GitHub repositories. You don’t need to be a Git or GitHub expert, but you do need to have a desire to learn and a passion for helping people.
The position reports to the IT Operations Manager based in Tokyo and will work closely with other teams and leaders throughout the company.
GitHub works remotely and asynchronously as much as possible. Some travel may be required for projects and team gatherings.
- Automating processes for the IT organization at GitHub
- Developing, supporting and maintaining internal tooling
- Effectively communicating technical information to internal customers and stakeholders in a friendly, approachable manner
- Working proactively with the IT organization on activities such as endpoint management, new hire onboarding, and end-user support
- Identifying areas for improvement in the tools and services the IT organization is responsible for at GitHub
- Managing urgent customer security issues
- Experience with automation and scripting languages such as Bash or Powershell
- Experience with system administration of various operating systems such as Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, Chrome OS and Android.
- Prior experience providing technical support
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Enthusiasm for working directly with customers
- A passion for working with humans
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub
- Experience in a distributed company
- Experience with Enterprise Mobility Management solutions for macOS (Jamf) and Windows (Intune)
- Previous experience as a Linux System Administrator
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 36 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.