GitHub powers the software development community. Since 2008, our platform has brought people together to collaborate on code, share ideas, and solve problems to build the future. As the largest host of open source software, GitHub is proud to be the place that open source communities like Swift, React, Kubernetes, and Node.js call home. We've enabled over 23 million developers and thousands of businesses around the world to build over 71 million software projects. From NASA using GitHub to put a rover on Mars to Mailchimp working to improve email, exciting new things happen every day on our platform.
Product design is represented at the highest levels within our organization and plays a central role to inform company strategy, the product roadmap, and how we work together.
As a product designer at GitHub, you’ll work with product managers, engineers, design managers, and other designers to define, design, develop, and iterate on the products we build and the process we use to do so. You’ll research, sketch, create mockups, and have the autonomy to write code and push to production. You’ll probably introduce a few bugs — that’s okay, we all have. Your work will be reviewed and you will review others’ work. You will use GitHub to build GitHub.
Product designers are embedded on teams along with engineers, product managers, quality, and data science. We welcome product designers of all experience levels to apply for this position.
GitHub is a remote-friendly organization and product design is no exception. We encourage applicants to apply who are comfortable working from wherever there is electricity, good wifi, and your preferred geography. Afraid of getting lonely at home? We can help by providing a coworking space benefit in your city. If you prefer coming into an office, we also have one of those (a very nice one, in fact) in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco.
- Cross-platform collaborative code editing and review
- Team-specific communication around code and issue tracking
- Nurturing the biggest open source software communities, whose projects power the internet
- Integrated project management for developers
- Scaling resources for managing teams of people working on software
- Removing friction for developers while they write, review, and deploy their code — wherever they choose to do it
- Extending GitHub with third-party apps and supporting the developers that make them
- Providing input and feedback that helps influence the direction of design in other areas of GitHub
- You have a few years experience designing digital products
- You can talk and write about your work
- You're comfortable giving and receiving feedback, and can explain the reasoning behind your opinions
- You enjoy shepherding design from concept through implementation
- You can work within a defined design system, but can explain why you might need to break outside of it
- You value research as a foundational design component and like going deep into a particular problem space
- You can use HTML and CSS as a design tool (to prototype and/or build your designs)
- You’ve used GitHub before or are familiar with modern developer workflows
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 36 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.