GitHub is the home for software development, where developers collaborate to build some of the world’s most important software. The scale of data that comes from that collaboration is immense -- 36M+ developers, 2M+ organizations, 100M+ repositories, 1.1B+ contributions, and 200M+ pull requests in 2018.
Helping developers navigate and understand all of that data is a core part of GitHub’s mission, and an area with potential we’ve only begun to realize. We have high aspirations for how we can help developers understand and navigate code, and for making collaboration more seamless. The foundation for these efforts is Search.
Search at GitHub, a feature used by millions, is a vital piece of the puzzle, and one which has been underserved over recent years. We are currently reinventing the way that developers can search on the platform -- re-thinking everything from the experience to the system architecture supporting it.
Engineers on the search team will work on challenges of scale, flexibility, and algorithm design to create novel systems to support a new search experience. One that makes development more powerful and more accessible to the increasing population of people taking part in software development.
- You’ll learn about, or learn more about, search, relevance and discovery across a variety of data types.
- You’ll get to contribute to the design and implementation of our new search platform and integrate it into the existing github.com codebase.
- You’ll have the chance to mentor junior engineers and to be mentored by experienced engineers.
- Users have some very strong opinions about GitHub search -- You’ll have a chance to make a bunch of developer’s lives better!
- You’ll code within the existing large-scale Ruby / Rails codebase that is github.com
- You’ll code new, smaller services in Go or Java.
- You’ll help other teams at GitHub integrate with search to make their content discoverable.
- You’ll document the systems you build and also find places to let internal teams self-serve their needs to integrate with search.
- Extensive experience with Ruby and Rails
- Experience working with additional languages.
- Strong communication skills - you speak, and write, your mind well. We’re a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
- Experience with Go or Java.
- Experience working with and building distributed systems
- Experience modeling and building systems for storage and retrieval of large volumes of data.
- Experience working with search or search relevance generally, or Elasticsearch specifically.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 36 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.