GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub. We’re looking for an experienced full-stack engineer to work on GitHub.com — you’ll work with our team of engineers to build and maintain features that create rich and compelling experiences for millions of developers across the world.
We work on features that enable our largest customers to have a seamless experience managing how they use GitHub. We are building a suite of solutions which customers will use to leverage external identity providers to manage their internal teams, groups, and organizations enabling a more seamless experience from the traditional enterprise to GitHub on both cloud and self-hosted.
Our team is highly distributed. You should thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication and know the right times for when to call synchronous meetings. We expect you to have strong written and verbal communication skills and be able to build working relationships with coworkers with different skills in locations around the globe. As a Senior Software Engineer at GitHub, you'll always be challenged to solve unique and interesting problems that have a real impact on how our customers use GitHub for their company.
- You will evaluate and recommend solutions, and guide team decision making
- You will work with Product and Design teams to build new features
- You will document the systems you help build
- You will coordinate with engineering and product leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives
- You will contribute and lead group discussions about the projects we're working on
- You will mentor, pair, and delegate work to encourage the professional and technical growth of those around you
- You will work with support to triage and debug technical support requests
- You will evaluate and improve the scalability and performance of the product
- 6+ years experience developing web applications
- 2+ years of RoR or Go experience or equivalent
- Experience with SQL and relational databases
- Experience with RESTful API design and/or GraphQL
- A background in refactoring large-scale systems
- Solid knowledge of testing principles
- Ability to empathize with a diverse range of engineers
- You are known for being a great communicator
- You have remote work experience
- You have worked with technologies like OAuth, SAML, SCIM, and LDAP
- You have built and maintained a service using multiple 3rd party APIs
- You can evaluate and understand the tradeoffs for building new services in different languages
- You have worked with external identity provisioning services like Azure Active Directory, Okta, OneLogin, and Ping
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 36 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.