GitHub is looking for an experienced engineering manager lead a distributed team of engineers building and maintaining our database infrastructure. This team is well-established and expanding as we grow and scale the databases that power GitHub.
Do you want an opportunity to work with domain experts, foster a culture of engineering excellence, and guide team vision and priorities? You will join our community of people managers and help us build an environment where everyone can do their best work and grow as professionals.
As part of the highly distributed infrastructure organization, you will collaborate with other teams through an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You will build strong working relationships with peers. As a member of our team, you'll always be challenged to solve unique and interesting problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
- Meet 1-1 with team members on a regular basis.
- Give frequent, actionable feedback to support your team’s career development.
- Magnify the impact of the team by building upon its autonomy, relatedness, and connectedness to shared goals.
- Partner with peers across the organization on setting roadmap priorities and long term vision.
- Maintain and strengthen a team culture of inclusion, growth, honesty, and psychological safety.
- Success as an engineering manager.
- Experience guiding technical decision-making.
- Familiarity with database landscape and technical solutions.
- A proven track record as a trustworthy service owner.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to thrive in a diverse, fast-changing environment.
- Experience managing distributed teams.
- Proficiency with languages such as Go, Ruby, and Bash.
- Significant experience with MySQL infrastructure.
- Evidence of open source advocacy.
- Experience with operations in a large production environment.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 36 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.