GitHub is changing the way the world builds software and we want you to help change the way we build GitHub. We're looking for an engineer to work with a dynamic and distributed group of engineers building and improving our platform.
We work on enabling developers and teams that programmatically access GitHub: APIs, SDKs, integrations, Checks, and Deployments. These empower developers and organizations to integrate their products and build their businesses on GitHub in service of increasing everyday developer productivity.
Our team is highly distributed. You should thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have strong written and verbal communication skills and be able to build working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe. As a Senior Software Engineer on the GitHub Ecosystem, you'll always be challenged to solve unique and interesting problems that have a real impact on how your co-workers and GitHub integrators build software.
- Writing robust, maintainable full-stack code
- Maintaining and improving APIs used by both GitHub and external integrators
- Exploring the technical tradeoffs of every decision
- Reviewing code
- Leading group discussions about the projects we're working on
- Creatively coming up with systematic solutions to problems within the platform instead of focusing on one-off fixes
- Improving the scalability and performance for our platform
- 6+ years building web applications
- 2+ years building large, high traffic web applications at scale
- Experience with web applications in Ruby
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience with API design
- Ability to empathize with a diverse range of engineers
- You are known for being a great communicator
- You have remote work experience
- You have used GraphQL in production environments
- You have maintained a public API
- You can evaluate the trade-offs for building highly available distributed systems
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 31 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.