GitHub is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to help grow and lead the team that provides physical and cloud computing infrastructure for world’s largest repository of code. GitHub operates high-performance data centers and multiple cloud providers using automated tooling and repeatable vendor-agnostic designs.
You will be responsible for the technical leadership and well-being of a group of engineers in our Data Center Engineering organization. Data Center Engineers at GitHub are responsible for a delivering a robust foundation for the compute and storage workloads that power GitHub's applications. The team will work on a variety of engineering tasks including network engineering, load balancing, Kubernetes and container orchestration, and more.
You will work closely with the Director of Data Center Engineering and other similar teams in the Data Center organization to plan and deliver a global data center footprint that spans physical facilities and cloud providers.
- Lead a team of infrastructure engineers to deliver foundational compute and storage capacity to stakeholders across the GitHub organization
- Build and maintain software to automate the management, provisioning, and operations of this infrastructure
- Capacity planning for both short and long-term growth
- Develop a team of world-class engineers through 1-1’s, coaching, and career advocacy
- Balance proactive open source community participation with GitHub’s needs
- Build a team based on psychological safety, mutual support, and engineering excellence
- Success as an engineering manager
- Familiarity with various cloud providers, including AWS and GCP
- Thorough understanding of Linux OS administration, troubleshooting, networking, and tools
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to thrive in a diverse, fast-changing environment
- Experience writing software to make infrastructure management easier, faster, and more automated
- Knowledge of data center architecture: power, cooling, and networking
- Experience with Kubernetes for managing dynamic workloads
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 31 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.