GitHub is looking for Security Engineers to join our Security Operations team. We are a hybrid team of traditional infrastructure engineers, site reliability engineers and security engineers, working together to create systems and tools that enable our fellow engineers to securely operate and scale the world's largest code hosting platform. As a member of this team, you will develop, implement, and maintain organization-wide capabilities such as secrets management, identity and access management, gateway access, secure provisioning, and more. You'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
This role does not require an extensive security background or education level, provided you're eager to learn and passionate about security. This would be an excellent fit for someone currently working as a site reliability engineer or similar who wants to translate their skills to the security domain.
The team is highly distributed and you must thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You will be expected to have strong written and oral communication skills and be able to develop effective relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
- Develop, implement, and maintain infrastructure security services.
- Automate tasks by consuming and building APIs and developing self-service tools and frameworks.
- Partner with teams across the organization (infrastructure, application engineering, data analytics, etc.) to ensure the security, availability and resilience of our infrastructure.
- Use metrics and monitoring to ensure the security of our infrastructure.
- Cultivate the open source projects developed by GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Proficiency with the GNU/Linux operating system and shell scripting.
- Proficiency in at least one high level language such as Ruby, Python, Golang, etc.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services or a similar cloud provider.
- Familiarity with configuration/orchestration management software such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- A tenacious ability to diagnose and fix security, performance and reliability problems.
- Pragmatic and collaborative approach to decision making and system design.
- Experience building highly available and secure systems at scale.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- Proficiency in Ruby and/or Puppet.
- Experience with the Hashicorp stack, specifically Vault.
- Experience with infrastructure services such as LDAP, SSH, VPN, HTTP proxies, etc.
- Contributions to open source.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 27 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 79 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.