GitHub is looking for a hands-on engineering manager to lead a team of infrastructure software engineers. This team is responsible for the availability, resilience, and sustainability of a portfolio of infrastructure services. These services represent the common functionality and production capabilities that other GitHub product teams rely upon.
As the leader of this distributed team, you will curate this portfolio and steer it towards increased impact and applicability across the company. Your team will grow in scope through automation and technical convergence. Reducing cognitive load and operational overhead will allow the team to identify and onboard other critical services and strategically expand its portfolio. This is not a team at rest, you will be responsible for leading the team to ever-higher levels of business impact.
At GitHub, we expect our leaders to also be supportive managers and coaches. In this role, you will join our community of people managers and hone your ability to develop the individuals on your team. You will be their advocate when they are not in the room, their organizational sponsor, and take an active role in their career growth. We look for honesty, humility, empathy, and a growth mindset in all of our people managers.
As part of the highly distributed infrastructure organization, you will collaborate with other teams through an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You will build strong working relationships with peers. This role provides the opportunity for a leadership-focused technologist to develop their capabilities as a dependable service owner while making a meaningful impact to how the world builds software.
- Lead a team of infrastructure developers to embrace, extend, and maintain highly available software infrastructure.
- Align team activities and individual career growth with business priorities. Grow team scope by developing sustainable strategies for service onboarding and increased impact.
- Act as a champion of GitHub values and build a team work environment defined by growth, honesty, trust, and psychological safety. Enable your team to do the best work of their career.
- Act as the service owner for a portfolio of infrastructure services and the individual services it contains.
- Balance service ownership (and accountability), with empathetic people management, and hands-on technical leadership.
- Experience as a people manager or software engineering lead.
- A track record of service ownership and personal accountability.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Expertise with GNU/Linux systems.
- Experience with system languages such as Go and high-level languages such as Ruby or Python.
- Familiarity with configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- A growth mindset.
- Experience with CNCF technologies and cloud computing at scale.
- Experience managing a distributed team.
- A track record of developing engineering talent.
- A desire to be a people manager, servant leader, and coach.
- A balanced approach to individual contribution, team results, and coaching.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 36 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.