GitHub is seeking a highly experienced and detailed-oriented, senior Individual Contributor to help maintain and expand the GRC function within a young and rapidly growing organization. GitHub is committed to doing right by our customers. Developing a highly effective control environment and right sized compliance solutions are integral to this commitment.
- Are you a fearless, autonomous - yet social! - go-getter, prone to fits of root cause analysis, followed on by enthusiastic information sharing?
- Do you like to test theories, and exult, rather than deflate, when the results return gaps or deficiencies because it means you have an opportunity to make something better?
- Do you like puzzles, mazes and intractable problems because they challenge you to push to the end and emerge triumphant, solution in hand?
- Are you passionate about tackling all the things that come your way, big or small, so long as they are the right means to an end, free of the shackles of popularity contests?
- Do you agree there is no ‘I’ in ‘Team’ and the organic power of mutually respectful discourse and collaboration is what makes the world go round?
- And last, but most certainly not least, have you already answered the question "Why are we here?" with the GRC Truth, "Because Customers."
If so, you might be the person we are looking for!
As part of the team reporting into the Director of Security-GRC, you will work closely with multiple groups including infrastructure, operations, legal, finance, HR, sales, and software engineering to develop sound process and implement necessary controls to meet customer needs, satisfy external audit requirements, and address internal business objectives.
This is an excellent opportunity for a strong Individual Contributor to have a hand in elevating compliance and security as business and sales enabler, and to integrate a deep understanding of product and business into the compliance space. This is a team effort, and so bringing your team members, leadership and customers along for the ride is integral to your success. Central to the team's culture is that of inclusion, transparency and teamwork - we lift each other up to be successful!
This role is a great opportunity for someone on an advanced GRC career path to effect real change in a rapidly evolving environment, and to learn new ways to leverage your experience to encourage growth and maturity in a young, but influential organization.
Whether you’re a GRC lifer, or have an eclectic combination of skills gained across multiple domains besides - Software operations, QA, security ops, logistics, software program and project management skills and experience - all are welcome. Come see if this role is a fit for you!
- Interpret regulatory, industry compliance and audit requirements and develop easy-to-consume work definitions for the product, HR, legal, business systems, IT engineering and software development teams, and function as technical SME during external audits.
- Develop and track compliance and remediation project plans and track successful completion of work, ensuring alignment with product roadmap.
- Lead development of continuous compliance testing, design remediation and risk mitigation solutions, and collaborate cross functionally to establishing automated testing and evidence collection.
- Contribute to the development of customer facing materials covering topics related to security, compliance and audit to help customers manage their own audit efforts involving GitHub products more effectively.
- Above all, you'll be getting your hands deep into the work and identifying new ways to solve problems and provide services inside our company.
Our ideal candidate takes an extremely pragmatic approach to GRC, functions as part of a growing team, and is able to balance the needs of a very dynamic engineering culture with that of protecting the company and customer data.
This job is U.S. based and open nationwide, however, semi-frequent travel (<15%) to our San Francisco, CA headquarters, will be necessary for a remote worker.
- Ability to function as a strong business to technology "Human API", helping to bridge the business view and requirements to technologists building solutions.
- 5+ years prior work experience in requirements development, program management, and/or process improvement efforts in a technical company, preferably at a large SaaS provider.
- 5+ years experience designing, implementing and/or monitoring control environments using project plans to track and negotiate commitments with experience escalating blocking issues constructively.
- Experience with being a subject matter expert or lead, inside or outside of a compliance team, supporting one or more types of compliance frameworks: SOC 1/SOC 2, ISO 27k, FedRAMP, PCI, HIPAA/HITECH, FINRA
- Experience working in a customer facing capacity in a SaaS/PaaS/IaaS business model.
- Ability to develop and use metrics/KPIs to assess program performance.
- CIA, CISA, CISM or other relevant independent certification, or equivalent education.
- The ability to partner with and effectively communicate to security, engineering and devops staff.
- Adept at project management and analysis work, including facilitation, interpretation, note taking and documentation.
- Experience working on a remote team in an asynchronous workflow.
- Exposure to software version control systems/Git and GitHub.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Loves the opportunity to Fix It, Build It, Understand It.
- Confidence in ability to learn new things - has the ability to state: "I don't know, but I will find out and circle back!”
- Very high comfort level working under ambiguous situations, with natural drive to bring clarity.
- Compulsive about getting it down on "paper".
- Creative mindset; a willingness to try new approach, and challenge assumptions.
- Highly team oriented personality.
- An open, learning mindset.
- Deep experience at SaaS provider participating or leading teams through the entire SSAE 16/SOC 2 lifecycle from initial gap-assessment to receiving a favorable Type II report & letter of attestation, covering the Common Criteria and multiple Trust Service Principles, from a leading auditing firm.
- Strong information security background in either software development or systems operations.
- Software development, QA or Engineering experience.
- Experience implementing and/or maintaining PCI compliance, HIPAA/HITECH compliance, or ISO 27001:2013 ISMS.
- Experience implementing Sarbanes Oxley 404, supporting ongoing compliance monitoring year over year, and including but not limited to working with independent auditors during validation and compliance testing phases.
- Cloud Security Alliance and the STAR program including the CCM and CAIQ.
- Exposure to FISMA/FedRAMP, and other industry and regulatory frameworks.
- Experience using data analytics tools.
- Prior technical program management and/or project management experience.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 31 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.